USB3 stopped working with upgrade to 9.2.1.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

haddad

Cadet
Hi,

I have been using FreeBSD for servers for a long time and decided to have a NAS at home, so I've built one using FreeNAS six months ago.
I had a hard time figuring out how to add USB 3.0 support on my first install. It was the 9.1 version and I didn't know about the tunables yet, and, of course, USB 3.0 stopped working with the first upgrade. Fortunately I read about the xhci tunable and it was a lot easier to keep it working after every upgrade.
But after the last upgrade to 9.2.1.5, the USB 3.0 support seems to have stopped. DMESG doesn't show my pci-e board been recognized. I have the feeling that the problem is with the module xhci.ko but I don't know how to replace it on the flash drive.
Didn't it happen to anyone else?
Any ideas?

Best regards,
Haddad

D

dlavigne

Does the module show as still loaded if you type kldstat ?

haddad

Cadet
Hi, everyone,

I'm still having trouble with my USB3.0. The last thing I did was upgrading to 9.2.1.6, in hope it could have been corrected. But nope.

I have something more to say about this, though.

"kldunload xhci.ko" does remove it from kldstat list. And "kldload xhci.ko" does put it back. The funny thing is that there are no messages at all left about it in the logs. On the FreeBSD 10 I have running on another box, it gives a lot of messages when the same module is unloaded or loaded.

If nobody else had this problem, may be my USB3.0 board died and didn't have anything to do with the FreeNAS upgrade. I'll try to load another live system to check the board.

Best regards to all.

Last edited:

DaPlumber

Patron
I had USB3 working on 9.2.1.5-RELEASE and still working on 9.2.1.6-RELEASE. I just followed the instructions I found when I googled/searched the Wiki/forums, etc. Sorry I don't have the links handy and being a lazy ass for just providing an anecdote...;)

haddad

Cadet
Thanks any way, DaPlumber.

I still did not have the time to try anything. I have been too busy and the FreeNAS box is under heavy use.

Meanwhile I'll get another USB 3.0 pci express board. It's good to have a spare at hand, just in case...

haddad

Cadet
Today I replaced de USB 3.0 pci express board and upgraded to FreeNAS 9.2.1.7.
Still the same results...

Status
Not open for further replies.