USB tethering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marius76541

Dabbler
Good day All

I have a small/big problem..

My internet subscription allows me to do unlimited downloads from 00:00 until 06:00. Now I want to use my phone as a modem to download in that time but I don't know to set this up at all.
I am still new to this had trouble finding the place to create a forum... (anyways)...

I do have another network connection but it is slow 200kb/s.. and just what to make a new setup to download faster, well not completely new but what I mean is I download using my phone for 6 hours and then automatically change back to the slow connection. On my phone I allow the tether connection but FreeNAS doesn't want to pick it up. The plugins doesn't run at all I presume. I tried windows and had no problem like steam downloads. I need this connection on my FreeNAS and not my other windows pc.

I followed some linux add usb tether connection setup but .... failed.

So please anyone out their help me if possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Artion

Patron
Hi, I don't think it is possibile/easy to do it the way you are trying to. You can instead connect the phone to a windows pc and share the internet connection within your network. Than you can tell FN to use that to connect to the internet. In other words you have to do it out of FN, on your network.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
There isn't going to be driver support for something like this in FreeNAS since it's so far removed from what FreeNAS is used for. You would have better luck setting this up on a router.

Marius76541

Dabbler
So from my windows PC is the only other way.. Because I am running on a small budget. I thought about buy a router but they are very expensive in my area.

Now doing this out of FN? This now my second question. How do I set that up. Bridge connection or VPN? I don't know all of them and will their be a guide in FreeNAS documentation?

Artion

Patron
This guide could help you: http://www.dummies.com/computers/op...to-share-an-internet-connection-in-windows-7/ . try googling 'internet sharing windows' to find other info. The idea is to use the windows pc as a gateway/router for FN, so to use your phone connection to get to the internet.
Question: does the windows pc connect to the internet using the phone? Did you get it working? Do you use wifi or usb tethering? Remember, you need to connect your FN box and the windows pc to the same switch via ethernet, or using a crossover/patch ethernet cable.

Inviato dal mio YD201 utilizzando Tapatalk

Marius76541

Dabbler
Hi okay..

PC and FN box in connect to 1GB switch and then to a router for the slow connection. Window did manage to download from my phone. Phone is using usb tethering..

Artion

Patron
Take a look at this or this and adapt it to your needs (in your case share the phone connection; set FN network settings to use the new network).
Now this is more a Windows topic than a FN one.

Status
Not open for further replies.