USB hard drive under TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02-RC.2 configured not recognized by Windows and Linux operating systems

ignazio

Cadet
Hello everyone, I attached a USB hard drive under TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02-RC.2 and configured it as Pool02. See file: USB-disk-Pool02.png and USB-Disk-ST2000DL003-9VT166.odt. Well, this USB hard drive is not recognized by Windows and Linux operating systems, so there is no way to view the content. I am grateful for every hint.

Kind regards, Ignazio

Attachments

• USB-disk-Pool02.png
    USB-disk-Pool02.png
    34.9 KB · Views: 277
  • USB-Disk-ST2000DL003-9VT166.odt
    20.5 KB · Views: 142
TrueNAS uses ZFS. It's not designed to be a simple plug-n-play for Windows or Linux, as you are accustomed to with traditional storage and filesystems.

Last edited:

artlessknave

Wizard
TrueNAS is a zfs storage appliance, not a standard OS.
TrueNAS can, or at least used to be able to to, read foreign filesystem such as windows and linux, but is setup to do so solely to ingest that data into a zfs pool. there is no GUI method for writing to such disks.

you can install zfs on linux, and it should be able to read such a disk.
you can install openzfs on windows, but thats alpha at best, and YMMV. i had to uninstall it because it seems like it was causing BSODs.
also, USB typically performs poorly with zfs, and is highly not recomended as a connection method for any drives, including boot drives.

ignazio

Cadet
Hello Winnilinnie and artlessknave. Very interesting to know this. I used this USB disk for security reasons to isolate important data from the network. Thanks very much!
Ignazio

titust1

Explorer
Hi guys, I have exactly the same problem. I've used an nvme drive in TreNAS Scale, I created a one drive pool, then I realized the drive is too small for my needs because of the 80% rule. Then I wiped it and wanted to use it for other purposes in Windows, but. Windows has major problems detecting the drive, sometimes it's showing the drive as a SCSI device, but the drive cannot be used anymore in Windows, and Disk Manager freezes. If I bring it back in Truenas it works just fine. I understand Truenas is using ZFS, what I don't understand is:
If I wiped this freaking drive in Truenas then any formatting, partitioning or configuration that was created by Truenas previously when creating a ZFS pool should be gone from the disk, so that we can use the disk for other purposes. That what wipe is. am I right? Why I cannot do it?

titust1

Explorer
I found a solution grace to Kris Moore
root@xxxxx[~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/<disk> bs=1M
Try this then it will work in windows

sretalla