SOLVED usb drive configured as backup pool with no redundancy - how to read from another computer

Hi all,
I have a USB drive setup as a backup for my core TrueNAS. I have rsync tasks that update my "normal" pools to it. This all works fine and I can view the data from the TrueNAS instance.
What if I want to remove the USB drive and read it from another (Mac or Window) machine? Is this possible? How can I accomplish this concept?

thanks in advance.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You can install OpenZFS for Mac OS. Runs stable for me. I don't know if OpenZFS for Windows is production quality, yet.

I'm trying to make this as easy as possible for the user... Can I mount the USB drive as a SMB share to the TrueNAS CORE and run rsync tasks to it? This way I can simply unplug the drive from TrueNAS and plug it into anything else.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
TrueNAS does not work as any filesharing client, only as a server. What is your use case?

I want to be able to grab all of the data that is backed up in the case of emergency (I live in Florida and we have hurricanes ;-). I'm also thinking about upgrading to TrueNAS Scale in the near future and I'd like to be ablt to easily put the files back on the new instance.

Any modern Linux distro supports ZFS.

It's best to use a "version" distro (such as the latest Ubuntu), rather than a "rolling release" (such as Arch Linux).

You don't even need to install it. Just boot from the live USB, and install the zfs packages.

Or like @Patrick M. Hausen said, you can use OpenZFS on macOS as well.

Whattteva

Wizard
Just have a spare USB stick installed with TrueNAS with the same config and boot off it on the other computer. It's your best "in case of emergency" in my opinion, rather than trying to fiddle with other OS's and it'll be a lot more plug and play and painless (no worries about ZFS versions) though you may run into issues if your other computer only has WiFi connection. This is one of the principal advantages of TrueNAS being designed as a "firmware".

It's your best "in case of emergency" in my opinion
I believe their emergency is a "grab and run" where you need to evacuate your city during a hurricane.

They want to be able to quickly grab a USB drive (which holds all of their data) and have the option to pop it into someone's computer to read the files.

You can't just grab a NAS server and toss it into your car as easily as you could with a USB drive.

EDIT: Nevermind. I misunderstood your post when I first read it:
Just have a spare USB stick installed with TrueNAS with the same config and boot off it on the other computer.
That definitely works too.

Whattteva

Wizard
EDIT: Nevermind. I misunderstood your post when I first read it:

That definitely works too.
Right, basically he can just grab (USB stick + USB drive) and run. I don't think an extra USB stick is all that hard to make extra space for =) cause if it is.... well he probably has bigger things to worry about and probably shouldn't even grab that USB drive in the first place.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I want to be able to grab all of the data that is backed up in the case of emergency (I live in Florida and we have hurricanes ;-). I'm also thinking about upgrading to TrueNAS Scale in the near future and I'd like to be ablt to easily put the files back on the new instance.
SCALE will be able to import your USB drive just as well as CORE. In case of emergency others have already suggested suitable options.

So I removed the USB drive from TrueNAS. I haven't gotten to the point of importing into a windows or Mac environment yet, but I did try to reattach it to TrueNAS to no avail so far.

What is the "right" way to remove the USB drive from TrueNAS and reinstall it? Nothing I'm trying allows me to reinstall it.

sretalla