USB Disk Was Not Recconyse After Having Re-Pluged It.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone!

I totally know USB HDDs is not reccomended but I very need to use this as a storage for my security cameras, I don't want to use my hot swapable HDD's for store my security cameras. I want to use my 8 bay enclosure for do that, and keep my 24 HDDs for my personal data storage.

So my issue come right after having unplug the USB cable of the 8 bay enclosure or simply a single USB HDD, the FreeNAS give me: Exiting with signal 15 and if I re-plug the 8 bay enclosure or the single HDD, the array of 8 disk or the single disk was not reconyse by the system until I reboot the entire system. This is normal or not?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Guillaume

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It can be normal. USB isn't designed in a way that is ideal for servers. As you said, you realize this isn't "ideal" but I don't have any good recommendation except to go get a bigger case that can hold your drives. :(

Hi,

I try to use UFS and when I unplug an USB disk and I replug it, he was automaticly detected. But, the only issue I have its when I try to create an user, it gave me this error; Error: [MiddlewareError: Failed to create the home directory (/mnt/Musique/musique) for user: [Errno 6] Device not configured: '/mnt/Musique/musique']

Any idea?

Thanks!

Guillaume

cyberjock

Inactive Account
No ideas (especially since UFS is almost not used at all by anyone). But since you've mentioned UFS I would like to warn you that UFS is removed from FreeNAS' current source code (mostly because so few people use it and its not extensively tested anyway). So when 9.3 comes out in the next month or two you will not be able to upgrade if you want to use UFS.

This may be "your sign" that you need to find another OS to use, or you should consider going ZFS.

I currentlt use Windows Server 2008 R2, I thinking to be able to do the same thing with FreeNAS. I will continue to use Windows Server. Sorry about this. All OS have positive points and negative points, and each have their quality and their deffault.

Have a great night!

Guillaume

Status
Not open for further replies.