USB Boot Corrupted, risk of imminent data loss?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murac

Dabbler
My last boot-drive scrub returned "corrupted" for my usb drive. "Application data will be affected." Navigating to the webUI responds with
Code:
{"error": true, "events": [], "message": "Error: disk I/O error"
My jails are otherwise running just fine. And I have my config backed up so I can reinstall and restore, not a problem. I still have SSH access so I will be able to shutdown safely, etc.

But here's the rub. I'm about to go out of town for a few days, do I run any risk of greater data loss leaving the system in this state? Or is the risk simply that the system won't boot again (once shutdown) until i've reinstalled?

Thanks

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
do I run any risk of greater data loss leaving the system in this state?
Your data is safe because it's NOT stored on the boot drive. Your machine might continue to function while your away but with
all the writing FreeNAS does to the boot drive nowadays, the failing thumb drive may cause an unrecoverable crash.
Does the unit being shut down while your away a big concern? Why not just shut it down and address this upon your return?

danb35

Hall of Famer
There's no risk of data loss, as long as your pool is not encrypted. If it is, make sure you have a good backup (and backup of the backup, and backup of the backup of the backup...) of the encryption key.

Stux

MVP
There's no risk of data loss, as long as your pool is not encrypted. If it is, make sure you have a good backup (and backup of the backup, and backup of the backup of the backup...) of the encryption key.

I've printed keys out before. On paper.

melloa

Wizard
And, upon return, assuming the server will boot, why not try to mirror the USB key and replace the other one after resilver? If your that won't work, at least you will have two USB keys to mirror to avoid this situation next go around.

Stux

MVP
And, upon return, assuming the server will boot, why not try to mirror the USB key and replace the other one after resilver? If your that won't work, at least you will have two USB keys to mirror to avoid this situation next go around.

Think the damage is already done. But I suspect you can get the config out.

Which gives me an idea, why doesn't the FreeNAS boot have the option of double replicas? I'd do that.

melloa

Wizard

Murac

Dabbler
Thanks everyone for the advice. So it's as I thought.

When I first built the server I was mirroring the USBs but one of them fried soon after and I assumed it was a bad USB port. I just found that drive again and popped it into my laptop. While it wasn't responsive, it still got incredbily hot within minutes. Maybe it was the drive. I'll try that again when I return...

Good to know a corrupted drive can't spread danger to my zpool though.

Cheers.

Stux

MVP
Download a backup of your config.

Buy two new USB drives (or use an SSD etc), then re-install FreeNAS onto both drives at once.

Boot off you new USB drives...

Upload config.

Job done.

Stux

MVP
Status
Not open for further replies.