USB 3 or 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghola

Cadet
Hi Guys

New to this but reading up on things last few days and forming my plans

Can you advise if it is better for me to buy a USB 3.0 PCI card for this little SFF PC (PDF Spec attached) I will be using for my Flashdrives or stick with the USb 2.0 on the back. i guess it it boils down internal bottlenecks BUT I am sure the 3.0 will be faster in a PCI-E slot, etc than a USB2 on the back

I have 8GB RAM & Plenty of HDDs ready and ordering a 32GB USB stick for Freenas Friday and a smaller one to install from. The Add on cards are so cheap

I work in the IT industry and get loads of these RP5700's all the time (5 spare at work atm!)

Thanks for your help
Steve

Attachments

• HPRP5700.pdf
    1,011.6 KB · Views: 560

diedrichg

Wizard
1. Go to the Hardware section and read the sticky regarding recommended hardware - ECC is a must for data integrity.

2. USB 3.0 is not enabled in FreeNAS, stick with (2) USB 2.0 name-brand USB thumb drives on the ports that are on the motherboard. Speed is not a factor. If you are building for clients, then go with a pair of SATADOMs with the intention of longevity for the boot devices.

Ghola

Cadet
thanks for the reply so good job I asked. Will stick that in my main PC then I guess:p

I cant afford ECC memory and this is just for home use, NAS/Media Streaming and such but thank you for the hint. I did read that bit of the docs but di not get as far as USB3;)

edit, just read also that the PCI am using cant use ECC RAM AFTER i find some cheap on Ebay, not so expensive after all

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I suspect your experience with FreeNAS on this hardware will be poor. The hardware is far from the recommendations and not having ecc memory and supporting parts is a deal breaker in my book. Good luck and report back on if it works or not.

Ghola

Cadet
i wholeheartedly agree, I am a complete noob on most of this:). I have kept to the min spec of 8GB RAM but not ECC, if I can find a Mobo that supports ECC then I may do that on next build, this will be practice I guess, I home project so I dont have to keep my loud Main PC on for Streaming to the TV.

I saw the ECC RAm on Ebay for a decent price so that encouraged me but keeping spend to a minimum atm. if I can find a decent 2nd ECC Mobo with a processor then I will jump into that but also need to get something up and running quickly. But, if it all goes wrong then fair enough

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Awesome! Glad you did some reading. I was just double checking, we get lots of people posting saying xxx doesn't work or is slow. They then get asked about hardware and they are running a 7 year old amd box with 2gb of memory. Then get upset because it can't run on their hardware.

Ghola

Cadet
yeah, i tried this about a year ago, I consider myself pretty PC literate (I stage/build EPOS systems at work and am a IT Project Manager) but got persmission errors when i tried to moved files on to the CIFS/Windows folders that I saw on my main PC then gave up but have vowed to try it again. So had a good read of the 9.3 specs the other night (need to finish them). read about L2ARC/Caches, how ZFS work (was well impresssed by that, I work for Oracle) . 9.3 seems easier as it has been updated with a wizard or somthing so I am hopin that will not give me the problem I first had

I know to have min 8GB ram now (this PC is limted to 8GB), 2 USB sticks, 1 to install from, 1 to install too (biggest I can afford so going for 16/32GB pen drive to run it off of. got a standard 1TB Sata HDD to put in and a plethora of spare HDDs about to add in but limted to 3 drive bays on this

With anything PC based i am always conscious of bottlenecks and speeds and making if can go as fast as I can, hence my uSB3 question

this is effectively my dry practice run to learn how to do it then after that will spend a bit of money, maybe get a 2nd hand server or something, try RAID or whatever

edit: oh, and the GF wants one, so if I get it right then I can build her one too

Last edited:
S

sef

If your primary concern is low cost, then I recommend you go with a low-cost solution -- there are a bunch of 1-2 disk NAS devices out there (e.g., ).

The only reason to cheap out when building a FreeNAS box is out of experimentation, when you are trying to decide if it's something you want to actually invest in.

Z300M

Guru
1. Go to the Hardware section and read the sticky regarding recommended hardware - ECC is a must for data integrity.

2. USB 3.0 is not enabled in FreeNAS, stick with (2) USB 2.0 name-brand USB thumb drives on the ports that are on the motherboard. Speed is not a factor. If you are building for clients, then go with a pair of SATADOMs with the intention of longevity for the boot devices.
Just as one example, I tried mirrored 8GB SanDisk Cruzer Fit USB 2.0 thumb drives for a while, but one or other of them kept failing despite having been tested error-free on another machine. I am now using the 16GB versions of those same drives, and all seems to be well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.