SOLVED USB 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel712

Cadet
Hello FreeNAS Community,

i could not install FreeNAS 11.2 RC2.0 from a USB 3.0 USB Stick, always got an error 9 or error 2 with mounting root from ... failed.

When i changed to an old USB 2 Stick, no problems. (Tried both UEFI an BIOS boot)

Why is it not mentioned in the documentation, that you need to istall from a USB 2 Stick?

Or is the problem related to my specific setup? Does FreeBSD support USB3.0?

I am on supermicro X10SRA with Xeon E5-2620v4, Hynix Ram from List, SAS 9207-8i, Chelsio T520-CR, all from Hardware Guide...

Thanks for Info, and please put a hint in the doc...
Daniel :)

kdragon75

Wizard
USB3 is supported but from what i see on the forums, booting and installing to/from it is hit and miss.

daniel712

Cadet
Thanks for Info! So most probably it won't also work installing FreeNAS on a USB 3.0 Stick for a system drive on this machine? For the time i'm using a seperate SSD for system, but just in case i would need the slot?

Would it be possible to put a short info in the deocumentation? I did a bit of an hour troubleshooting until i found one post about USB 3.0 probably not working for install media...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's most likely a problem with your specific model. USB flash drives are designed to be cheap - considerations such as longevity, standards-compliance, reliability and speed are, at best, secondary.

With SSDs as cheap as they are, it's very hard not to recommend an SSD instead of USB flash drives for booting. The only reason my backup server still boots from USB is because the HBA I have on order is taking forever to get here.

Status
Not open for further replies.