USB 3.0 support

Status
Not open for further replies.

geronimo1958

Contributor

ProtoSD

MVP
Planned doesn't mean it automagically happens in a year. USB 3.0 support isn't available until FreeNAS upgrades to FreeBSD 9.0 much later this year, *maybe* Christmas.

geronimo1958

Contributor
OK. Thanks for the update.

fracai

Guru
I hope a month and a half doesn't deem this a zombie already.

Could you elaborate on the state of USB 3? The known issues page mentions how support is disabled by default because it panics some motherboards, but provides information on adding the tunable to enable it. But, if support won't arrive until FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD 9, what does the xhci_load tunable do? Would USB 3 ports simply not function at all without that enabled?

andoy31

Explorer
I enable xhci_load and was able to have a working usb3 on my p8h77-i
Enabled in my bios and with the following settings:
- legacy usb3.0 support enabled
- ehci hand-off disabled.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I know my USB3 ports on one of my servers worked as USB2.0 without enabling USB3. Big picture, USB3 doesn't bring much to the table except for when you are plugging in drives to copy data to/from the server. Hopefully it's not permanent since most people that do result in data loss untimately.

Bootup times from a fast USB3 drive is only marginally better than using the same drive in USB2.

fracai

Guru
I enable xhci_load and was able to have a working usb3 on my p8h77-i
Enabled in my bios and with the following settings:
- legacy usb3.0 support enabled
- ehci hand-off disabled.
That's good to hear. That's the board I'm using so I'll have to check the BIOS settings. Thanks.

fracai

Guru
Big picture, USB3 doesn't bring much to the table except for when you are plugging in drives to copy data to/from the server. Hopefully it's not permanent since most people that do result in data loss untimately.
I'm not sure what you mean here. Most people using USB3 or copying data to/from external drives ultimately lose data?

fracai

Guru
Ah, gotcha. Yeah, I'm looking at it for keeping offline backups up to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.