External USB 3.0 Hard Drive for Backups

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbrinson

Dabbler
Well, I managed to get my FreeNAS 8.2 p1 64 bit build up and running. Thank you again to those that helped with the hardware. I have managed to create a volume and setup a couple of Data Sets with Windows (CIFS) shares, one with guest access and another with access via user credentials.

I'm now wanting to set up an rsync backup drive to further protect the family photos, home videos, iTunes music, etc. I purchased a 3 TB Seagate Backup Plus External USB 3.0 hard drive for this purpose. I set a tunable for the xhci_load variable to enable USB 3.0 support. I'm assuming this is working as I see the drive loaded during the FreeBSD boot sequence, the FreeNAS Web GUI lists the disk under the View Disks screen, and there have been no panics. I have not yet created a UFS volume with the External USB hard drive.

In the View Disks screen, I did set the HDD Standby value to be 5 minutes. However, it does not seem to go into standby mode. The left most light on the front just keeps flashing. I have searched the Seagate web site for the meaning of this LED, but to no avail. I assume it is indicative of disk activity. I have tried using the camcontrol command from the shell to determine the state of the drive. While
Code:
camcontrol devlist
includes the Seagate Backup Plus in the devices list as da1,
Code:
camcontrol cmd da1 -a "E5 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00" -r -
responds that there was an error issuing the command. Issuing that command for any of my WD20EARS internal drives does respond, and I can see if the drives are spun up or down. Can camcontrol not talk to hard drives attached via USB? Is there a method to determine the state of a USB hard drive? Has anyone else had experience with using an external USB hard drive for backups that could shed some light on this situation? I wanted to spin the external USB drive down as performing the rsync for backup is likely to only be scheduled for once week. The rest of the time the drive will just be sitting there.

Thank you for any help!

ithank

Cadet
Did you ever find an answer to this? I would like to do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.