USB 3.0 card

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first post here, so be gentle. :smile:

The Setup:
I have an HP small form factor dc7700 computer (Specs here: http://www.retrevo.com/search?q=HP+dc7700+SFF&rt=sp&modelid=3167477) that I want to use as my NAS box.
I have 4 Seagate GoFlex Desk 2TB external hard drives that are USB 3.0 speed. The dc7700 is only capable of USB 2.0. See where I'm going?
I bought a SIIG DP USB 3.0 4-Port PCIe i/e card (http://www.siig.com/it-products/usb/adapters/pcie/dp-usb-3-0-4-port-pcie-i-e.html) and put it in the PCI express slot. The card has 3 ports on the back and 1 port internally.
I removed a metal plate from one of the unused PCI slots and ran the USB cable from the cards inside port thru the hole to it's 2TB HDD. I obviously connected the other 3 2TB HDD's to the ports on the back of the machine.
I installed FreeNAS 8.0.3 onto a Patriot SUPERSONIC PULSE 4 GB Flash drive which is also USB 3.0 but I am out of 3.0 ports at the moment so I plugged it into a port off of the front.

The Problem:
I connected the 4 drives to the USB 3.0 card and no drives show up when I click on "Create Volume". I even plugged the "optional" SATA power connector to the back of the card; still nothing.
I called SIIG, stayed on hold for an hour until they closed last night, and finally opted to leave a voicemail. They called me back today just to tell me they have no Linux/FreeBSD drivers for this product and as far as the Rep knows, no intentions of creating any.
I tried to find a Hardware Compatibility List on the FreeNAS site but all lists and references seem to be for older versions of FreeNAS.

Bottom Line:
Does anyone know of a USB 3.0 adapter that will work with FreeNAS 8.0.3 (64 bit) so I can take advantage of the USB 3.0 speeds that my drives (and Flash Drive) are capable of?

Attachments

• Internal USB cable routing.jpg
    Internal USB cable routing.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 295
  • My NAS.jpg
    My NAS.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 296
It's been a week since I posted my article asking for help. I've had only 6 people view the post and no help yet. Is there another way to shimmy this up the foodchain for answers? I am itching to get started putting my NAS together but don't want to do it using USB 2.0. I can't be the only one requesting this, can I?

PLEASE HELP - Does anyone know of a USB 3.0 adapter that will work with FreeNAS 8.0.3 (64 bit) so I can take advantage of the USB 3.0 speeds that my drives (and Flash Drive) are capable of?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

ProtoSD

MVP
I'm pretty sure support for USB 3.0 is limited/not reliable in FreeBSD 8.2 which also applies to FreeNAS 8.x. FreeBSD 9.0 is supposed to support it, and possibly FreeBSD 8.3 when it comes out later this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.