URBACKUP client not starting. supposedly for a outdated jail version.

PropDad

Dabbler
I have successfully created the base jail. I am in the jail console and was successful in running...
pkg install -y nano curl wget

When I run...
I get...
--2023-11-21 12:18:02-- https://hndl.urbackup.org/Server/2.5.27/urbackup-server-2.5.32.tar.gz
Resolving hndl.urbackup.org (hndl.urbackup.org)... 198.58.118.162, 2600:3c00::f3c:91ff:fec8:ecf6
Connecting to hndl.urbackup.org (hndl.urbackup.org)|198.58.118.162|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
2023-11-21 12:18:02 ERROR 404: Not Found.

I have successfully created the base jail. I am in the jail console and was successful in running...

When I run...

I get...
Check the URL. I missed the other instance of the version number. :wink:

2.5.27 should be 2.5.23 (in all parts of the URL)

Last edited:

PropDad

Dabbler

When I run...

I get...

Check the URL. I missed the other instance of the version number. :wink:

2.5.27 should be 2.5.23 (in all parts of the URL)
We are soooo close now. I am able to access the GUI, but I need to mount. I know what to choose for the source location, but not sure what to choose for destination. :/

We are soooo close now. I am able to access the GUI, but I need to mount. I know what to choose for the source location, but not sure what to choose for destination. :/
Whatever you prefer.

<path to jail root>/media/backups

<path to jail root>/mnt/backups

Etc.

So then within the jail itself (and thus the UrBackup Server software), anything that points to /media/backups (or /mnt/backups), will essentially access the source. (The jail doesn't know about your actual datasets in TrueNAS.) Don't forget that the permissions on the host's source path/dataset use the same Unix UID/GID. (Not sure what user "urbackup" runs under.)

PropDad

Dabbler
It seems that no matter what I choose, I get "Destination directory must be empty."

Untitled.jpg

Or if I do find one that "works", I get this on the urbackup GUI...

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

PropDad

Dabbler
I just went through every single step again and it looked like I was able to successfully create the mount points in Truenas but I'm still getting the following in the GUI for urbackup...

untitled-jpg.72750

I'm not sure if the proper procedure is to set up an ACL for the urbackup jail ID, but I have done that and still get it.

Where are you pointing the UrBackup software to? You're supposed to reference a "within the jail" path, not the actual path on the TrueNAS host.

PropDad

Dabbler
Where are you pointing the UrBackup software to? You're supposed to reference a "within the jail" path, not the actual path on the TrueNAS host.

Untitled.jpg

Now I'm just starting to feel like an idiot because I had this thing running months ago and I now the answer is just staring me in the face.

Do you know how to retrieve the permissions of that path in TrueNAS?

Try something like this:
Code:
getfacl "/mnt/PC Backups/urbackup"

PropDad

Dabbler
Do you know how to retrieve the permissions of that path in TrueNAS?

Try something like this:
Code:
getfacl "/mnt/PC Backups/urbackup"

# file: /mnt/PC Backups/urbackup
# owner: root
# group: wheel
owner@:rwxpDdaARWcCos:fd-----:allow
group@:rwxpDdaARWcCos:fd-----:allow
user:Wendy:rwxpDdaARWcCos:fd-----:allow
everyone@:--------------:fd-----:allow

Okay, now I find that odd. Wendy is a member of the household but does not need access to this. I saw that she had permissions yesterday. I thought that I had removed it and added the urbackup ID.

I just went through those steps again and it's adding Wendy. I am going into the shell of the urbackup jail and typing ID urbackup. It's telling me 1001 is the ID. When I add that as an ACL, it's adding Wendy again.

Edit: Just went and looked at user Wendy and the ID is 1001 so that makes sense now. I'm not sure why the urbackup jail thinks it is also 1001. How do I change the ID for the urbackup jail?

Last edited:
How do I change the ID for the urbackup jail?
Unix UID/GID are shared between the jail and host. The "username" is incidental.

You basically are permitting UID 1001 the access.

I would create a new user account on the TrueNAS host and assign it a unique UID, such as 21182 with the username urbackup.

Then in the jail, create a user account with the same UID (and username). But the UID needs to match.

Then assign permissions/ownership accordingly. (I don't use UrBackup, so I'm not sure if it's meant to run as "root" or a custom unprivileged account.) Does UrBackup automatically create a user account with UID 1001 upon installation?

EDIT: Yes it does.

It's times like these I wish I had the time and energy to maintain a package. I already learned how to create Arch Linux PKGBUILDs. I'm sure the principles are the same for FreeBSD Fresh Ports. The problem is, once I learn how, I don't think I'll be up for maintaining it as upstream releases new versions and/or there are fundamental changes in libraries and dependencies. :frown:

EDIT 2: I just installed and configured UrBackup Server in a test jail. Everything seems to work. Your mountpoint isn't pointing to the correct location. :wink: I didn't catch it the first time, since I never used UrBackup before.

mountpoint.png

While you can change this in the settings from the default path of /mnt/backups/urbackup to something else, you might as well leave it at default, stop the jail, then fix your mountpoint. (You can manually enter the path in the Mount Points configuration if the folder doesn't exist as something to click on.)

Last edited:

PropDad

Dabbler
Unix UID/GID are shared between the jail and host. The "username" is incidental.

You basically are permitting UID 1001 the access.

I would create a new user account on the TrueNAS host and assign it a unique UID, such as 21182 with the username urbackup.

Then in the jail, create a user account with the same UID (and username). But the UID needs to match.

Then assign permissions/ownership accordingly. (I don't use UrBackup, so I'm not sure if it's meant to run as "root" or a custom unprivileged account.) Does UrBackup automatically create a user account with UID 1001 upon installation?

EDIT: Yes it does.

It's times like these I wish I had the time and energy to maintain a package. I already learned how to create Arch Linux PKGBUILDs. I'm sure the principles are the same for FreeBSD Fresh Ports. The problem is, once I learn how, I don't think I'll be up for maintaining it as upstream releases new versions and/or there are fundamental changes in libraries and dependencies. :frown:

EDIT 2: I just installed and configured UrBackup Server in a test jail. Everything seems to work. Your mountpoint isn't pointing to the correct location. :wink: I didn't catch it the first time, since I never used UrBackup before.

View attachment 73069

While you can change this in the settings from the default path of /mnt/backups/urbackup to something else, you might as well leave it at default, stop the jail, then fix your mountpoint. (You can manually enter the path in the Mount Points configuration if the folder doesn't exist as something to click on.)

I FINALLY got the mount point correct thanks to your suggestion!!! I no longer have the error message that I was getting on the urbackup GUI.

I created a new user account on the TrueNAS host like you suggested, but I am not sure how to create a user account in the jail itself. I am assuming that this needs to be done in order for the jail/urbackup to have access to the pool I have setup for urbackup. Or am I good now because the error message is gone?

Or am I good now because the error message is gone?
Don't worry about the user accounts. I think you're good now.

I hadn't realized the missed detail from an earlier post (of the incorrect mountpoint.)

I assumed UrBackup was similar to something like qBittorrent, Jellyfin, or Plex, where you need a matching UID with the host and jail. However, UrBackup runs as "root", so it's all a moot point.

PropDad

Dabbler
Don't worry about the user accounts. I think you're good now.

I hadn't realized the missed detail from an earlier post (of the incorrect mountpoint.)

I assumed UrBackup was similar to something like qBittorrent, Jellyfin, or Plex, where you need a matching UID with the host and jail. However, UrBackup runs as "root", so it's all a moot point.
It works, it works, it works! Thank you sooo much for helping me get this solved and hopefully this will help someone else if they run into the same situation. THANKS AGAIN!!

Just keep in mind, since this is not a binary "pkg" nor a port from FreeBSD's Fresh Ports, you'll have to manually update the urbackup-server software from time to time, as needed.

I'm assuming it's done via one of its command-line tools.