UPS - Tripp Lite vs CyberPower

fireburst

Cadet
Hi,

I am going to buy a UPS for my rack. I found 2 options, but I couldn't make final decision.

Tripp Lite SMART1500LCD 1500VA or
CyberPower OR1500LCDRM1U

Is anyone using one of them?

Both have mixed reviews. Actually I haven't found clear answers. Are these work fine with Freenas/TrueNas. I mean do these naturally supported?
Tripp Lite SMART1500LCD 1500VA has a driver on NUT-supported devices list (I heard some connection issues).
I couldn't find a driver for CyberPower OR1500LCDRM1U. It is probably using same driver with 500VA model (OR500LCDRM1U).

Server should be shut down properly.

Just I could find these two models. I think Tripp Lite can be first option If there is no compatibility issues with FreeNas/TrueNas. It is cheaper. So, it may be easier to buy second one (I mean second Tripp Lite) for redundancy. But I don't know any of them. Quality is of course important.

Also, I am open for other advices.

I am using FreeNAS 11.3-U5 right now. I can upgrade to TrueNas if it makes different for UPS compatibility etc.

Thanks.

TrueNAS uses NUT for UPS monitoring. Both units appear to have serial and USB ports for monitoring.

Although, the exact models are not listed in the NUT HCL, many similar models are and will likely use the usbhid-ups driver. You won't know for sure unless someone else is using the exact same model or until you try.

Both units appear to be a PWM simulated sine wave when on battery power. You might consider looking for true sine wave output, but those are typically more expensive. It really depends on if your kit is sensitive to PWM simulated sign wave or not.

Regardless of your UPS decision, you should consider upgrading to TrueNAS 13 since FreeNAS is no longer supported and may contain vulnerabilities. Just backup your config and data before attempting to upgrade in place in the event something does not go as planned. Search the forums or create a post asking for the best upgrade path.

fireburst

Cadet
Thank you for answer.

I was already thinking of upgrading to TrueNas before adding new pool to my system. I will do it first.

I searched true sine wave output options. I have supermicro and looks like I need true sine wave UPS for these power supplies.

APC Smart-UPS 1500VA (SMC1500-2U)
Tripp Lite 1500VA Sine Wave UPS (SMC15002URM)

In this case, I found these options. Reviews are mostly positive, but there is no information on what types of systems people use. Looks like I have to try one of them with usbhid-ups driver to see results.

I read many connection/compatibility problems with Tripp Lite after open this topic. Not specifically this model. Generally with Tripp Lite. (Most of them old date). APC seems like the best option. I'm still searching, so I'm still open to any advice.