Tripp Lite UPS setup issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrahamBB

Explorer
Hi,

I've recently attached a Tripp Lite SMART1500LCDT to a system running FreeNAS-11.1-U6. The exact model isn't in the dropdown driver list so I chose the closest: Tripp Lite ups 3 SMART1500LCDXL USB (protocol 2012) (usbhid-ups) (I also tried the 1500LCD, same driver older protocol).

I have configured the UPS but cannot get the service to start:

Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 3.21.49 PM.png

I saw the thread here:

Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 5.15.43 PM.png

and that is EXACTLY the setup I need, but the /etc/local/nut/driver.list doesn't exist and creating it and adding the above didn't fix the problem.

It looks as though this version of nut has a diffeernt config and I cannot find any info on where the driver files live now.

Any help most apprciated.

Cheers

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Nothing like that will work with an appliance. You can't just go in there and change config files, since they are generated by the system at boot every time you boot anyway. So that's not your solution.

In any case, usbhid should be the correct driver, REGARDLESS of what exact model you choose. The purpose to the pulldown is to select the appropriate driver from amongst a small list of drivers, and it looks like you did that.

The only thing I can think of is that you don't have the correct "USB port" set in your config, which in your case is 0.2, but I was under the impression this was no longer critical to have correct...

GrahamBB

Explorer
Nothing like that will work with an appliance. You can't just go in there and change config files, since they are generated by the system at boot every time you boot anyway. So that's not your solution.
Understood, I tried it out of desperation and removed it when it had no efefct.

In any case, usbhid should be the correct driver, REGARDLESS of what exact model you choose. The purpose to the pulldown is to select the appropriate driver from amongst a small list of drivers, and it looks like you did that.
My tgought too, the only difference is the exact model number in the description and the protocol year.

The only thing I can think of is that you don't have the correct "USB port" set in your config, which in your case is 0.2, but I was under the impression this was no longer critical to have correct...

Well, according to some posts "auto" should work and I can add it and it makes no difference. 0.2 is set and AFAICS is correct.

Here is the USB setup:

Screen Shot 2018-09-15 at 11.01.43 AM.png

and here is the effect when I set driver to "auto":

Screen Shot 2018-09-15 at 11.02.49 AM.png

You can see the change in the lower part of the above. The precmd routine fails but I don't know why and then shortly afterawrds the "connection refused" loop appears.

As far as I can see, there is no ability to log into this UPS but the user and password fileds cannot be blank. I have dug to find if there is a login / password combination for them, but the only ones I find seem to be related to Tripp's software, not to the device itself.

Any thoughts on precmd?

Cheers

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
We see the "failed precmd" stuff, typically, on FreeNAS, when you are using one of the built in services (e.g., UPS/NUT in this case), but the checks the thing does to make sure the service will start correctly have failed.

Are you 100000% sure the USB cable isn't jacked up? This is the kind of thing you see when the USB cable is bad, as well. Just saying. Clean out the ports, try a fresh cable, and/or try connecting the UPS to another (e.g., Windows) system with known-working drivers to verify that in fact, the thing actually works.

GrahamBB

Explorer
We see the "failed precmd" stuff, typically, on FreeNAS, when you are using one of the built in services (e.g., UPS/NUT in this case), but the checks the thing does to make sure the service will start correctly have failed.

Are you 100000% sure the USB cable isn't jacked up? This is the kind of thing you see when the USB cable is bad, as well. Just saying. Clean out the ports, try a fresh cable, and/or try connecting the UPS to another (e.g., Windows) system with known-working drivers to verify that in fact, the thing actually works.

Well, tis a brand new cable so I hadn't pondered that. I shall dig out a.n.other and try that. This is a mac establishemnt, and Tripp don't have a mac version, so I'll have to chivvy up a win machine and try the win version I downloaded.

We are in the midst of Florence so I wanted to have this done, I'll wait till we have a stable electrical environment and experiment more.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.