ups shutdown second server on power loss

urobe

Contributor
Hey there,

our windows server will move physically into the same rack as our freenas system. The ups that is attached is strong enough to also power the windwos server long enough to shut it down. Right now the freenas system is connected to the apc ups by usb cable and is shut down 30 seconds after power loss.

Is it now possible to communicate the power loss to the windows server so it turns off as well? Both servers have a supermicro mainboard running ipmi, i was wondering if I can use the ipmi shutdown command to do that?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
-Tobi

I haven't done it, but I believe you can install "NUT" on Windows and then slave it to the "NUT" (UPS service) on FreeNAS.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Hey there,

our windows server will move physically into the same rack as our freenas system. The ups that is attached is strong enough to also power the windwos server long enough to shut it down. Right now the freenas system is connected to the apc ups by usb cable and is shut down 30 seconds after power loss.

Is it now possible to communicate the power loss to the windows server so it turns off as well? Both servers have a supermicro mainboard running ipmi, i was wondering if I can use the ipmi shutdown command to do that?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
-Tobi
There is a free WinNUT tool you can use to shut down your Windows system. See my resource "Configuring UPS support for single or multiple FreeNAS servers" for details.