UPS over TCP/IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

l@e

Contributor
I'm trying to control multiple servers (2 esxi + 2 freenas + centos) to automate shutdown.
my ups is using USB or RS232 ports.
in order to solve for the other machines even VMs i have installed a small vm with freebsd in one of the esxi hosts runing UPSMAN software as master controller and installed the RCCMD which is the client software in all others except the 2 freenas boxes.
is there any way for the ups service to receive tcp or udp message in order to initiate the shutdown?
can not use the serial because i have multiple srv to the same ups.
the other way is to to install the rccmd software on the freenas boxes but i don't know if any complication can arise with time. i'm not sure if any scrub in process or data writing to the pool (mostly backups over night) will be affected by having a shutdown command not originated from the usual service.

toadman

Guru
Not sure on using RCCMD as I've never used it.

I do know you can write a script that's executed by the machine/VM receiving the UPS signal which will SSH into the freenas box and execute a script to shutdown. i.e. it's solvable, worst case you have to write some simple code. A shutdown shouldn't harm any ZFS related services. They will just pickup where they left off on a restart. Alternatively, you can send the UPS signal to the FreeNAS box and have it execute shutdown scripts on the other VMs/hosts.

Reactions: l@e

l@e

Contributor
Not sure on using RCCMD as I've never used it.

I do know you can write a script that's executed by the machine/VM receiving the UPS signal which will SSH into the freenas box and execute a script to shutdown. i.e. it's solvable, worst case you have to write some simple code. A shutdown shouldn't harm any ZFS related services. They will just pickup where they left off on a restart. Alternatively, you can send the UPS signal to the FreeNAS box and have it execute shutdown scripts on the other VMs/hosts.

thanks, will try the script over ssh.

c32767a

Patron
I'm trying to control multiple servers (2 esxi + 2 freenas + centos) to automate shutdown.
my ups is using USB or RS232 ports.
in order to solve for the other machines even VMs i have installed a small vm with freebsd in one of the esxi hosts runing UPSMAN software as master controller and installed the RCCMD which is the client software in all others except the 2 freenas boxes.
is there any way for the ups service to receive tcp or udp message in order to initiate the shutdown?
can not use the serial because i have multiple srv to the same ups.
the other way is to to install the rccmd software on the freenas boxes but i don't know if any complication can arise with time. i'm not sure if any scrub in process or data writing to the pool (mostly backups over night) will be affected by having a shutdown command not originated from the usual service.

FreeNAS uses a tool called NUT - Network UPS tools for UPS management. It can do alerting over a network as well.
You might want to investigate using that for your other devices. It's freeware, and it might meet your needs more effectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.