1 UPS for 2 boxes...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverJS

Patron
OK, got everything hooked up. Haven't tested yet, but something's already awry - my backups box (slave) says it can't connect to the Master. Connection Refused. Thoughts...? Doing some research as we speak.

Email received :

NOCOMM - CP1000AVRLCD@192.168.0.106:3493

EDIT : Duh - rechecked my settings, I guess I hadn't enabled "remote monitor" on the Master. Once I did that, promptly received the COMMOK message. So, everything looks good!

Last edited:

rogerh

Guru
On the master FreeNAS is the 'remote monitor' tick box ticked? Is upsname, monitor username and password the same on both boxes? Has the slave got the IP address of the master? Is the latter a fixed IP address (but this only matters if it changes)?
By the way, not having the router powered on during power loss won't matter.

SilverJS

Patron
By the way, not having the router powered on during power loss won't matter.

It won't? Fantastic. Then, I'm all set - at least, until my UPS battery charges fully. =)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Went out yesterday and got myself a CyberPower CP1000AVRLCD - it was one of the few available at my local shop that both was compatible, and was well-reviewed. Only 10$ more locally than at Newegg, which is very atypical. Anyway - I bought it in the evening but didn't set it up yet - thought I'd wait until morning.

Anyhow, it's hooked up now, and boy am I glad. Because - of course! - we had another major power loss last night. I'm guessing the power went off and on a couple of times, to boot, but I can't be sure. Either way, I was SO pissed at myself for not installing the UPS....but, now, it's up, and it's showing 2/5 bars for load. Setting up the USB now.

I had done that out of instinct already, because I figured the exact same. BUT - just to confirm...:

Both my FreeNAS boxes are in the basement. My router is upstairs. I have one CAT5E cable coming in to the basement, which is hooked up to a 10-port switch, and all the other peripherals - including both servers - are on that switch. The UPS is downstairs, next to the two servers, and the switch is indeed hooked up to the UPS, but what if the router isn't? Will the message still get through then?

If all NUT devices are using static IPs, there shouldn't be a problem. However, if they're using DHCP and your DHCP server (the router) is not on UPS power, don't expect it to work.

SilverJS

Patron
Good point. They're indeed all static. That is - both the servers use static IP's. I'm not sure how the switch itself is configured, or if that matters...? (FAR from a networking expert, as you can see...)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Good point. They're indeed all static. That is - both the servers use static IP's. I'm not sure how the switch itself is configured, or if that matters...? (FAR from a networking expert, as you can see...)
Dumb switches aren't configured, they just pass data around according to the packet headers. Nothing to worry about.

SilverJS

Patron
Good to hear. Thanks for the help.

rogerh

Guru
If all NUT devices are using static IPs, there shouldn't be a problem. However, if they're using DHCP and your DHCP server (the router) is not on UPS power, don't expect it to work.

Surely only a problem if the power outage is longer than the lease, and you haven't shut down by then anyway?

Edit: and while it may be theoretically possible to use a NUT master with a hostname, DHCP allocation and a DHCP-modified private DNS server, in practice he needs a static IP at least for the master, anyway.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Surely only a problem if the power outage is longer than the lease, and you haven't shut down by then anyway?

Edit: and while it may be theoretically possible to use a NUT master with a hostname, DHCP allocation and a DHCP-modified private DNS server, in practice he needs a static IP at least for the master, anyway.

Unfortunately, some implementations do something weird that wreaks havoc on IP address configuration if the DHCP can't be reached and there's some other problem on the network.

Static IPs wouldn't be strictly necessary - DHCP reservations would also work to identify the server. I do static IP on the server and a DHCP reservation, to make my life easier if I have to mess around with either endpoint.

RichTJ99

Patron
Thanks for this post - very helpful today!

Status
Not open for further replies.