UPS help

jkmurphy1

Dabbler
I've had this issue since I first started using freenas with version 8.x... I now have two FreeNAS systems, both with seperate UPS, and I am having the same issue with both of them. I will take the one that is closest to me as an example for the time being.

That system is brand new with no data on it as of yet and is configured as follows:
Supermicro A2SRi=2758F-0
iStarUSA S-35-DE5BL 5-Hot Swap bay box
32 GB ECC RAM
Team C134 16GB USB Flash Drive
3 X WD Red 2TB
2 X Seagate NAS 2TB (1 for spare)
Pool created as RAIDZ2 with 4 drives + 1

UPS - TrippLite Smart1500LCDT

So, I have done a lot of research on my UPS issue and I haven't been able to resolve it. What it comes down to is the UPS is supported by NUT, but that version of NUT has yet to be compiled into FreeNAS. This particular UPS requires protocol 3016 with the usbhid-ups driver. Highest protocol I can find within FreeNAS is 3015.

My question is two-part. Is there any work around to changing the protocol that usbhid-ups uses, and if so how do I do it? The other part; are there any intentions on upgrading NUT in a future release of FreeNAS? I don't recall exactly what release of NUT this was included in, but can locate that information again if needed.

EDIT: I found this on github: trippLite3016.JPG

https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/blob/master/drivers/tripplite-hid.c

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'd put in a feature request for an updated NUT.

jkmurphy1

Dabbler
I could put in a feature request, but it may already be included. From what I have found today with some more searching, protocol 3016 was added to NUT with version 2.7.1. I don't know what version FreeNAS 9.3 is using. While I obviously would like to see my UPS working with FreeNAS, I may be just as interested in figuring out how NUT integrates with FreeNAS. And by that I mean how is NUT compiled into FreeNAS? Where should I begin to look on github to figure that out?

jkmurphy1

Dabbler
Thanks for that. I can get around linux okay when I need to but I'm fairly new to freeBSD. The same version is on my system, 2.7.2_6. This means protocol 3016 should be included within tripplite-hid.c within NUT. So this leads me to believe that there is at least 1 UPS device (the one I need) within NUT 2.7.2 that have not been completely added to FreeNAS 9.3.

I guess my next question is, since it has the correct protocol compiled into NUT, what all would need to be modified on the FreeBSD/FreeNAS side of things? The only file I've been able to locate is 'driver.list'. Is the information pertaining to each individual driver stored within a database of some sort on the FreeNAS system?

I guess what I'm trying to get at is after I have selected a driver from within the GUI, then I click okay or save or whatever it is, what actions happen next? I don't want to go into 'driver.list' and just start adding UPS devices so they are added to the GUI just to result in breaking the GUI. I would like to know how a selection from the list on the GUI relates to the driver files within NUT.

jkmurphy1

Dabbler
Ok. My resolve for this:

1. I added the following to /etc/local/nut/driver.list
"Tripp Lite" "ups" "3" "SMART1500LCDT" "USB (protocol 3016)" "usbhid-ups"
2. After rebooting, this option was available in the GUI. I selected it and provided "productid=3016" as an auxiliary parameter (not sure if it is needed or not, but it is working with it) -->click 'OK'
3. Eventually got it to recognize and connect by attempting to start UPS from the GUI several times.
4. Once it was running, I rebooted and UPS came up as expected. shell--> upsc <ups> returns the stats of my UPS

I originally got this to work by modifying /etc/local/nut/ups.conf. I changed the port it was listening on to 'auto'. This configuration didn't persist through a reboot though.

This works with FreeNAS 9.3-current-201503130047. The UPS model is a TrippLite Smart1500LCDT (tower version). I am also going to test this with a TrippLite Smart1500LCD (rack version) that does not work with the release-available UPS option (think it requires protocol 3016 as well according to NUT documentation on Github).

1TrueStoney

Cadet
Thanks, I'm having the same problem running the 11-STABLE release. I'm going to try those settings this evening. All the other threads I can find dead-end with no updates or solutions.

michaelcr79

Dabbler
On FreeNAS 11.2 stable there isn't a driver.list file...

Could someone provide an update on how to get an LCDT1500 TrippLite working on FreeNAS 11.2 stable, no updates applied?

colmconn

Contributor
Have you looked through the NUT documentation? That's the underlying software that manages UPSs

dkemppai

Dabbler
Yeah, I'm having the same problem. It's supported in NUT, just not in FreeNAS.

The TrippLite SMART1500LCDT is supported in NUT, however it doesn't appear in the drop down list.

How do we implement or edit this?

Dan

colmconn

Contributor
the NUT docs state that the SMART1500LCD USB (protocol 2009) is supported by the usbhid-ups driver. So I would pick one that is nearest in terms of model number and see how that goes. Just because it's not listed explicitly doesn't necessarily mean you can't use it with FreeNAS. Indeed that (almost) exact model is in the drop-down of 11.2-U3 which is what I'm running.
Screenshot_2019-05-16 FreeNAS - starbug home lan(1).png

dkemppai

Dabbler
the NUT docs state that the SMART1500LCD USB (protocol 2009) is supported by the usbhid-ups driver. So I would pick one that is nearest in terms of model number and see how that goes. Just because it's not listed explicitly doesn't necessarily mean you can't use it with FreeNAS. Indeed that (almost) exact model is in the drop-down of 11.2-U3 which is what I'm running.

Hi,

Yeah, did that. I was unable to get it to work. Actually tried all of the different protocol numbers for the smart1500 I could find. UPS service finds the UPS, it just can't communicate with it.

Looks like Protocol 3016 is the key, but it isn't listed in the dropdown menu. Also I couldn't find the driver.list file mentioned in posts above to add it, and it didn't work adding the protocol number to ups.conf.

Thanks,
Dan

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Hi,

Yeah, did that. I was unable to get it to work. Actually tried all of the different protocol numbers for the smart1500 I could find. UPS service finds the UPS, it just can't communicate with it.

Looks like Protocol 3016 is the key, but it isn't listed in the dropdown menu. Also I couldn't find the driver.list file mentioned in posts above to add it, and it didn't work adding the protocol number to ups.conf.

Thanks,
Dan
It is possible that there is a bug related to all the changes they have made to the middleware when changing from the old GUI to the new GUI between FreeNAS 11.1 and FreeNAS11.2. I would concur that a bug report / feature request is appropriate.
https://jira.ixsystems.com/projects/NAS

dkemppai

Dabbler
Yeah, you guys are probably right about filing the bug report. I just wanted to do some digging to make sure it wasn't something I was doing wrong.

Thanks,
Dan