uPnp / DLNA on FreeNAS 11.3

knightjp

Dabbler
I am having a problem streaming movies I've stored on my FreeNAS server. I am using my Android based tv with the Kodi app. I have heard that it is better if I enable uPnp. I found an old FreeNAS video on youtube, but for some reason, the system settings does not show any uPnp nor DLNA. Is there something that I need to do? Is there a plugin that I need to install?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
FreeNAS itself doesn't have any way to configure uPNP nor DLNA; this is the domain of streaming applications like Plex or Emby.
For example, with Plex, uPNP is only needed if you use Plex remote access to watch outside your home network. DLNA is used for Plex to stream to DLNA-aware devices inside your home network.

knightjp

Dabbler
Is there anything that will allow me to stream the movies directly from FreeNAS on my smart tv without needing to install any plugins?
Also when trying to install Plex media server, it says to click on plugins.. But whenever I do, I get this error,

Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 11.48.37 PM.png

Last edited:

Samuel Tai

Sorry, no. The base FreeNAS is just storage. You need plugins or VMs to stream. As for the error, check your networking. Do you have a default gateway and DNS servers defined?

knightjp

Dabbler
Sorry, no. The base FreeNAS is just storage. You need plugins or VMs to stream. As for the error, check your networking. Do you have a default gateway and DNS servers defined?
Well I set the IP to a static one. I don't recall setting any DNS or Gateway. How to I do that?

Samuel Tai

1596228197732.png

pschatz100

Guru
@Samuel Tai is absolutely correct. In order to use Kodi with FreeNAS, you will have to install a DLNA capable server application. Out of the box, FreeNAS does not offer this capability.

I am not a Kodi user myself, so I cannot comment on how good it is... I migrated to Plex many years ago. Quite frankly, in the FreeNAS world, you would be much better off using Emby or Plex. There are lots of users on the forum that use these systems and can offer advice. And if you are new to setting up your own media server then you will need advice. However, if you really insist on using Kodi, then you can install Plex and turn on its DLNA capability. But what would be the point? Can it be done? Yes, but I suspect you will not find much help here in the FreeNAS forum.

Edit: Don't waste your time watching old videos. Anything that is more than a year or two old, or that references a version of FreeNAS older than FreeNAS 11, will not be helpful.

ThreeDee

Guru
Make sure your network settings are in order ... sign up for a free Plex account and install the Plex plugin .. you'll have to set up mount points in the plex jail so it knows where your media is at .. but if I can do it, anybody can do it/figure it out ... :cool:

knightjp

Dabbler
Make sure your network settings are in order ... sign up for a free Plex account and install the Plex plugin .. you'll have to set up mount points in the plex jail so it knows where your media is at .. but if I can do it, anybody can do it/figure it out ... :cool:
Well after a hiatus, finally managed to get the Plex Plugin Installed. However even after setting up the mount points, it seems that my Library has no items.
That can't be...
Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 8.50.20 PM.png

Because clearly it has quite a bit of stuff....
Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 8.51.09 PM.png

So what is happening? What did I miss?

garm

Wizard
Permissions. The user running plex needs to be member of the groups owning the media. And the id’s must match between the jail and FreeNAS. Lots of discussions and guides in the forums..

knightjp

Dabbler
Permissions. The user running plex needs to be member of the groups owning the media. And the id’s must match between the jail and FreeNAS. Lots of discussions and guides in the forums..
Not sure that I follow.
I launched the Plex server by clicking "manage".. It opened up the management address where I used my Plex user account to login and then point the libraries to the Mount Points I had selected earlier. No where was I told that I needed to add usernames and passwords to the Plex Server plugin.
Sorry for being such a newbie at this.

golfox2

Dabbler
Hey, did you solve the problem with plex ?
Or better, did you find a way for DLNA "Raw" acces from the tv on the truenas ?