How do you enable UPnP for XBox One streaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex62

Cadet
I'm on version 8.3.1 Release P2 x64, and I have been going through and expanding every menu trying to find where UPnP is located. If someone could point me to where it is on that version, I'd be very grateful.

Microsoft just released DLNA support for their media player, and I believe that's the only thing I need to enable on the FreeNAS side to have the Xbox One discover the files on the server. If I'm totally off base, and UPnP isn't going to solve the issue, please correct me. Any help would definitely be appreciated. Thank you in advanced.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You seem to be misguided. Internally, UPnP does absolutely nothing. It only opens ports on your firewall for external connections.

mjws00

Guru
Both the Plex and the miniDLNA plugins will stream via dlna to the xbox one nicely. The media player preview is ugly compared to the plex app... but it doesn't require plex-pass. I saw a mention of UPnP on some website (microsoft?) regarding the feature as well. Possibly the plex app uses it to communicate with and make itself available to their servers? Dunno. I only use it locally and as Eric said UPnP isn't relevant in that case.

It's about time the One caught up to the 360 ;) It's performed perfectly for me so far. No complaints just a little ugly.

Alex62

Cadet
Thank you for the quick answer Ericloewe.

mjws00, the plugins for Plex and miniDLNA can be downloaded somewhere? Doesn't Plex cost something, or is the plugin totally separate and is free to use? Thank you!

mjws00

Guru
The plex xbox app has a free trial and then they want a plex pass membership. The media player app can use the plex server without paying. The server plug in is a free install.

Alex62

Cadet
Ahh good info. Thanks, I'm at least heading in the right direction with the reply.

Now I just have to learn how to install the plugins. I'm not quite familiar with jails and pbis. If you happen to know a good place to cover the topic, I'd definitely appreciate any guidance. :)

Again, I really appreciate taking the time in replying and offering help.

Status
Not open for further replies.