Upgrading to 8.2 Full (from 8.2Beta3) - Jail Contents...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverJS

Patron
Gents,

Really happy to see that 8.2 is now officially online. I'd like to upgrade to it, but I have a few questions :

1. Most importantly, will the contents of my current jail be preserved? I have my full XBMC video database set up in there via MySQL, and it's working just peachy, so I'd rather not touch that;

2. The biggest reason I'd like to upgrade is because of Transmission. There was a bug with the Transmission plug-in early on that prevented users from setting the "Finished" folder. I remember a thread with ProtoSD, where he even made us videos for mount points and such, but turns out it was a simple bug in Beta3 that was to be fixed in later versions. Can we confirm this is fixed?

Right now, I have Transmission installed on the root FreeNAS level (not the jail), installed via command line and such, and it works great EXCEPT I have to chmod the "Finished" directory every time I want to move/edit stuff from/inside it. I'm hoping the new Transmission plug-in works better - oh, and the possibility of having a shell script from the web GUI is also very tantalizing...=)

Thanks!

SilverJS

Patron
Seriously? NO ONE knows if the jail contents are preserved on an upgrade? =) *Someone* has gotta know....=)

paleoN

Wizard
Seriously? NO ONE knows if the jail contents are preserved on an upgrade? =) *Someone* has gotta know....=)
Well, I don't know! I've never upgraded my jail as I've never had anything in it. Shutdown all plugins/programs, rsync your data to a different dataset and then snapshot the jail dataset. Upgrade and report back.

paleoN

Wizard
It was pointed out to me that the Jail/Plugin settings are stored in the database. Which means snapshotting the jail dataset isn't sufficient. You would have to backup your database before the upgrade otherwise you couldn't roll back to the older jail, the database & GUI would be out of sync.

SilverJS

Patron
Thanks for that. Far be it from me to question what you're saying, I'm merely curious - but who is it that pointed it out to you, or where did you read that? Just looking to get a bit more info on this.

paleoN

Wizard
Thanks for that. Far be it from me to question what you're saying, I'm merely curious - but who is it that pointed it out to you, or where did you read that? Just looking to get a bit more info on this.
What you doubt me?! ;) protosd who else? I should have realized it myself. It was obvious once he said it. Of course most answers are.

SilverJS

Patron
OK. So what you're saying is, I install 8.2 Release, and then, seeing as the data on the NAS is not deleted during an upgrade, I should be able to point the new install to the old jail by pointing out the two directories to it. Is that correct?

ben

FreeNAS GUI Developer
If you do a GUI upgrade, I believe the jail is even imported for you with no need for action on your part. However, across JAIL upgrades only PBI data and data in mountpoints is safe, I believe. This is why PBIs are recommended over package installations.

SilverJS

Patron
I can confirm the above. Everything in my jail worked perfectly once I upgraded to the Release 8.2 over GUI.

Now, I'm having trouble with the Transmission plug-in - but that's a separate issue...=)

Status
Not open for further replies.