Upgrading my FreeNAS box - Recommendations ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mellman

Dabbler
Hi All,

Been running FreeNAS at home for about a year now to support my network DVR, BluRay backups, wifes photography business, and my home lab. Currently have a 16 disk SAS enclosure connected to a Dual X5670 @ 2.93Ghz with 48 GB of Memory.

Currently running 11 x 2TB disks in ZFS3 and 4 x 400gb 10K disks in a raid 10 for running.

I'm running into capacity issues and before i just 'go bigger' wanted to get thoughts from the community on how to get the most performance and data resiliency on my data. I purchased 2 x 1TB SSDs for my VM Pool. I've also purchased several (12) 6TB WD RED drives for my primary storage..

Any important data (Family Photos, Wife's Photography) are backed up locally to another NAS unit (Not FreeNAS) and also off-site. The rest of the data (Labs, DVR, etc, I won't be upset if they disappear forever...other than having to redo my backups)

My questions are:

1) I've never seen a need for SLOG or ZIL drives on my implementation of FreeNAS. The majority of the time the box is idle, or writing from my network DVR. I spin up the lab a few times a week. I haven't noticed any performance issues - but I have some small 64-128gb SSD's I could use for this purpose if someone feels strongly about it

2) I intend to just have one large pool of slow disk to house my media, photos, personal data, etc. I figure utilizing a z3 level protection with 12 drives gives me just shy of 50TB, which should last me a few more years. Is there any reason from a data security or performance perspective to split this into two pools? Perhaps one for media(can go with maybe z1), and one for personal (Don't want to lose any so would probably stick to z3)? The biggest benefit i see here is if I need to expand with new drives, it'd be (potentially)cheaper to upgrade one pool than having to buy 12 x 10TB+ drives in the future

3) I have another shelf available, Does my box have sufficient resources to handle another 12-15 drives?

4) anything I'm not thinking of?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
1) I've never seen a need for SLOG or ZIL drives on my implementation of FreeNAS. The majority of the time the box is idle, or writing from my network DVR. I spin up the lab a few times a week. I haven't noticed any performance issues - but I have some small 64-128gb SSD's I could use for this purpose if someone feels strongly about it
No point in SLOG if it's going to be a consumer drive. Unless your home lab is critical, you can just make do without sync writes.

2) I intend to just have one large pool of slow disk to house my media, photos, personal data, etc. I figure utilizing a z3 level protection with 12 drives gives me just shy of 50TB, which should last me a few more years. Is there any reason from a data security or performance perspective to split this into two pools? Perhaps one for media(can go with maybe z1), and one for personal (Don't want to lose any so would probably stick to z3)? The biggest benefit i see here is if I need to expand with new drives, it'd be (potentially)cheaper to upgrade one pool than having to buy 12 x 10TB+ drives in the future
Well, 12 drives is a bit wide for a vdev, but there aren't any other serious considerations.

3) I have another shelf available, Does my box have sufficient resources to handle another 12-15 drives?
It's mostly a matter of RAM. You might end up a bit tight, hindering performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.