Upgrading HD capacity and migrate data

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJT211

Patron
Im currently running only 1 x 2TB HD and want to upgrade my capacity (4TB) while I still have a relatively small amount of data to actually do so, as well as, not get stuck with 2TB drives as I add more drives over time. I figure its best to do it now than later.

I've thought about just copying my data over to my comp and re-configuring everything from scratch, but that would be a waste of time (especially having to setup all my diff plugins with storages) and I wouldnt learn anything new. Im sure there's an easier way, but I wanna be careful so I dont lose everything. I do have my data backed up though.

So should I detach volume (leaving both options unchecked), go to Volume manager and add volume with same name with new HD and Import Disc?

The manual deals with this issue but its assuming Im running multiple disc in a RAID, which I am not. So its a bit diff in my case.

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
I can think of two efficient ways to accomplish this, but both involve a bit of CLI-fu to make them work:
  1. Create a new pool with the new disk, migrate everything over using ZFS replication, rename the new pool to the old pool's name.
  2. Add the new disk as a mirror of the old disk, and when resilvering is complete, remove the old disk.
Do I understand correctly that you only want a single 4 TB data disk as your end state? That's far from the ideal situation for ZFS (really, for data integrity at all with any filesystem), but it will work. I gave more details of (1), although in a slightly different situation, in this post.

JJT211

Patron
Yes, for the time being, it will be single state. The data is all media , nothing sensitive, and the pool is small enough that I have it backed up on my comp anyway. I do plan on setting up a mirror eventually, finances permitting.

Thanks for the reply!

Status
Not open for further replies.