To increase my storage capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

rafita

Dabbler
Hello,

My Freenas has 3x1TB HD, RAID Z, and I need to increase mu storage capacity. I have 2x3TB and I want to add them in the same volume that the ohers 3x1TB HD.
¿Can I add 2x3TB in RAID Z to the 3 others HD?
I would like tu have the most space that I can, but in RAID Z.
What can I do?
Thanks.

Inxsible

Guru
You cannot change an existing RAID configuration. You can add another vdev, but given that you have only 2 drives, you can't create another RAIDZ1 vdev. But you can create a mirrored vdev and since RAIDZ1 gives you 1 drive redundancy, you won't lose anything as the 2-way mirror also provides 1 drive redundancy.

Having said that, personally, I don't mix RAIDZ and mirror configurations.

Best option would be to add 1 more 3TB drive, if you can, and create another RAIDZ1 vdev.

ZOP

Cadet
You can replace one for one to increase capacity *IF* you replace *ALL* drives. RAIDZ (RAID in general even) sets comprised of bigger and smaller drives will be effectively as if all drives were of the smallest size in the set. The procedure is documented in the FreeNAS docs under "storage" - but beware that I've found it's currently broken. The process will never complete on it's own and requires you to manually detach old drives and wait for another resilver as you complete each drive.

Inxsible

Guru
You can replace one for one to increase capacity *IF* you replace *ALL* drives. RAIDZ (RAID in general even) sets comprised of bigger and smaller drives will be effectively as if all drives were of the smallest size in the set. The procedure is documented in the FreeNAS docs under "storage" - but beware that I've found it's currently broken. The process will never complete on it's own and requires you to manually detach old drives and wait for another resilver as you complete each drive.
But that means he would need 1 more 3TB drive since he currently has 3x1TB configuration. And since the requirement was to get more storage space, he might as well just create a 2nd RAIDZ1 vdev of 3 new drives

Status
Not open for further replies.