Upgrade from 9.10 to 11 stable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there.
I'm on FreeNAS-9.10.2-U6 using plex, owncloud and nextcloud plugins
Now owncloud client cannot connect anymore because server needs to update.
I'm worried to update and loose my plugins setup.

See if anyone can help me here:
I boot freeNAS from a 3 USB pen mirror. If I take 1 USB out and update (1 usb missing) and IF something goes wrong during the update, can I just boot from that USB that I took out during the update and would it boot from the 9.10 again without problem?
I'm so worried that I screw something during the update...

btw, will the owncloud plugin take new updates if I update the OS?
thanks

Christian_128

Dabbler
When you update, backup your configuration, take a other support (usb key) and make fresh install. See what you have, what you loose....

if the changement is not what you want. just shut down your server, put the old freenas key in place and you will be in buisness. Or if you want to update directly without fresh install, wou will have a new version of freenas. if is not waht you want when the server boot on the grub menu is possible to chose the version of freenas (rool back)

good luck :)

pschatz100

Guru
Hi there.
I'm on FreeNAS-9.10.2-U6 using plex, owncloud and nextcloud plugins
Now owncloud client cannot connect any more because server needs to update.
I'm worried to update and loose my plugins setup.

See if anyone can help me here:
I boot freeNAS from a 3 USB pen mirror. If I take 1 USB out and update (1 usb missing) and IF something goes wrong during the update, can I just boot from that USB that I took out during the update and would it boot from the 9.10 again without problem?
I'm so worried that I screw something during the update...

btw, will the owncloud plugin take new updates if I update the OS?
thanks
I see another post you created somewhat later than this one, with a different set of problems.

What is going on?

When you update, backup your configuration, take a other support (usb key) and make fresh install. See what you have, what you loose....

if the changement is not what you want. just shut down your server, put the old freenas key in place and you will be in buisness. Or if you want to update directly without fresh install, wou will have a new version of freenas. if is not waht you want when the server boot on the grub menu is possible to chose the version of freenas (rool back)

good luck :)
I would rather update then installing everything.

How would I roll back if needed?

Thanks

Christian_128

Dabbler
when you boot your freenas, the first screen is GRUB,
is possible to chose other than normal boot, just step down with the arrow on the other menu and enter.

at this point is possible to choose the old installation and boot on it. after if you want keep the boot (old one) you choose go on GUI (web interface) on "system" look for "boot" and you will see all version you have on your booting device.
choose the one you want.
if my explication is a bit complicated it's easy to find the documentation about freenas and make a little read about all function. it's a must :)

edit : when I want upgrade freenas, is always fresh install I made : I take new* usb key (or a new* hard drive) and make installation on it... if something wrong... I remove the new usb key/har drive and replace with the old version.
new* = not brand new (is stock on shelf)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.