Upgrade from 9.10.2 to 11.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

olebenny

Cadet
Hello FreeNAS
I am currently running my FreeNAS with 9.10.2-U6.
How do I upgrade to 11.2 ( do I need to upgrade to V10 first ?? ) ??
Best regards
Ole

Holt Andrei Tiberiu

Contributor
My personal opinion is to upgrade to 11.1 u6, and stay there for 3-4 moth's until 11.2 becomes stable.
Do a config backup first, then upgrade.
v10? they skiped it, it was Coral, wich is now TECHNOLOGY PREVIEW” Status

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
It depends on your exact configuration. What are you dong with the system? In some cases, where all that is being done is very simple network sharing, it is simplest to do a fresh install of FreeNAS, import the existing storage pool and recreate the share. If you have a more complicated configuration, it would be better to do upgrades to allow the configuration to be carried forward. You would need to hit each major version between where you are and the version you want to get to because there are changes to the configuration database and the base OS (FreeBSD) that could cause problems if you tried to jump from where you are all the way to the latest version.
Then there have been some issues with hardware that have caused some upgrades to have trouble.
Can you give us a rundown on your hardware?

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
PS. These are the versions with significance as far as changes from version to version go:

FreeNAS 11.2
FreeNAS 11.1-U6
FreeNAS 9.10
FreeNAS 9.3
FreeNAS 9.2.1
FreeNAS 9.2.0
FreeNAS 9.1.1
FreeNAS 9.1.0
FreeNAS 8.3.1
FreeNAS 8.3.0
FreeNAS 8.0.3
FreeNAS 8.0.2
FreeNAS 8.0.1

If you are on FreeNAS 9.10, and you want to go to FreeNAS 11.2; you should upgrade to FreeNAS 11.1-U6 first, then upgrade to FreeNAS 11.2 but that presupposes that the hardware you have is going to work well with the greater requirements that the latest version of FreeNAS has because it does increase as it moves forward (all operating systems do) and I have seen a lot of users try to upgrade only to find that the old boot device they have been using for years just up and dies.

LLeo

Dabbler
I, too, have just upgraded from a stable 11.1-u6 to the new 11.2. Everything went fine yesterday. I didn't like the fact that my only plugin Plex needed to be accessed through the old interface but I was going to deal with the warden-to-Iocage conversion process since I don't return to work until Jan 2. But this morning I woke up to gptzfsboot: error 32 lba 60062488
gptzfsboot: error 32 lba 1

Can't find /boot/zfsloader

FreeBSD/x86 boot
Default: FNSRV:/boot/kernel/kernel
boot:
/
Can't find /boot/kernel/kernel

Everything was working as expected before I fell asleep last night and had been working well since the day before.

I am currently taking Chris' advice and re-installing the older version since I happen to have a new USB 32GB drive and I will preserve the current failing(?) drive if someone can suggest a fix if deemed worth it. I understand the "shock" factor on the old drive is possible, maybe likely. I don't think the drive itself failed since somewhere in my very limited finger-flicking skills, I managed to type my way into a position where I could see my major folders, jail and other things I don't think could be reported if the drive itself were toast.

Starting fresh with a new drive will hopefully be the ticket. However, if anyone recognizes the strings above and maybe how to fix that, I would appreciate any input. I will update on my re-install attempts.

[FNSRV is just my server name. But the "/kernel/kernel" does seem a little suspect. An upgrade anomaly? Is the second "/kernel" the problem?]

LLeo

Dabbler
Successfully re-did my installation with a new USB boot drive (saving the old one for a possible backup) following Chris' 11.1 to 11.2 upgrade process. We'll see if it lasts this time. But I'm still interested in deciphering the above post if anyone has insight.

Thanks, Chris.

Status
Not open for further replies.