Upgrade from 9.1 to 9.2, what happens to jails?

Status
Not open for further replies.

petr

Contributor
Hello!

I am running FreeNAS 9.1.1 with a few plugins and also custom configured jails. I am going to be upgrading to a better hardware, and I would like to also upgrade to 9.2 in the process.

My question is - is there any work that needs to be done on migrating the jails? Or should I just upgrade to 9.2 and expect everything to work out of the box as it did on the previous version?

Thanks!

petr

Contributor
... am I correct to assume that all would "just work"?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I would upgrade the hardware and make sure it all works with the current install. You should be able to plug the drives into the new system, set the boot device to the old boot device, and it should all "just work". After you've verified all is fine then do a GUI upgrade to 9.2.

petr

Contributor
I would upgrade the hardware and make sure it all works with the current install. You should be able to plug the drives into the new system, set the boot device to the old boot device, and it should all "just work". After you've verified all is fine then do a GUI upgrade to 9.2.

Thank you very much for your reply!

My plan is actually the opposite - to first get the current machine up-to-date, and then move it over. Before I get ready for the move, I plan to set up the new machine with some old HDDs and see if it runs the latest FreeNAS without any trouble.

Is there any particular reason you would first change hardware and then start with software?

Status
Not open for further replies.