How to update freenas from version 9.2.x to 9.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

falukky

Explorer
I have version 9.2.x install on Disk On Key and several hard disks with full of data.
Now i want to upgrade my version to the newest version available, how can i do that without loosing any data ?

gpsguy

The user guide for v9.2.x can be found here: doc.freenas.org

Here's how you do it in 9.3, System → General, click the “Save Config” button. I can't remember if it's the same in your version and I don't have the docs handy.

If you'd like the 9.3 manual as a PDF, see the link in my signature.

falukky

Explorer
In my version (9.2.1.8) i saved the configuration (System → General), what is the next step ?
Just start in the manual from Preparing the Media ?
I can use the same Disk On key i using now ?

Last edited:

gpsguy

Yes - but rather than install 9.3, I would reinstall 9..2.1.8 on a new flash drive. If you don't have the software, you can download it from: download.freenas.org.

Reinstall the OS, configure your NIC, so you can access the webGUI and restore your configuration file. Restart and you should be good to go.

Whatever you do - DO NOT create new volumes, etc. since that will lead to data loss. If you have any doubt - ask us before proceeding.

Sent from my phone

falukky

Explorer
OK so only let me verify AGAIN...
What do you mean Reinstall the OS ? maybe it's batter to Install the new version (9.3) on new Flash Drive and retain the old with the old version (9..2.1.8) ?
After Install 9.3 ISO on my new Flash Drive, i only need to connect this Flash Drive to my machine and all done ?

gpsguy

No, I would install the old version on a new flash drive. After you get up and running again, you can consider upgrading to 9.3. 9.3 might introduce new issues - you don't need that potential headache now.

After you boot up the new flash drive, take note of the IP address - it'll try to grab one via DHCP and log into the webGUI. Don't configure anything else - just restore your configuration file. Once that's done, restart your server and you should be good to go

Sent from my phone

falukky

Explorer
I didn't understand why i need to install the old version on a new flash drive.
I already have it in my flash drive.

gpsguy

I'm sorry - I'm confused with another thread and composing messages on my phone.

Read section 2.5 of the 9.3 manual for upgrade instructions. Note, ensure that your flash drive is at least 8GB in size.

Also, once you upgrade - don't upgrade your pool. If you do, you won't be able to roll back to 9.2.1.x

Sent from my phone

falukky

Explorer
1. I just need to burn the new ISO on my new Flash Drive and start my server ?
2. How to avoid upgrade my pool ?

gearhead

Contributor
gpsguy, thank you very much for pdf version of manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.