Upgrade 9.10 to 12.1 looking for guidance

zimon

Contributor
Hello,
after reading almost one hour about different upgrade paths from 9.10 to TrueNAS and all the issue that might occur, I have to say my brain is a bit overloaded.
I setup my current systems years ago and I basically did not need to touch it since then because it was running without any issues until the sickchill started to act up and I figured now its the best time to upgrade not just the plugins but also my complete system to TrueNAS 12.1.

I understand that this won't be an easy process and I will most likely run into problems, but I have to start somewhere and I was hoping to get some guidance on the upgrade path I am planning, the correct preparations I have to take in advanced and some issues I might have and how to mitigate them.

This is my current setup:
Hardware:
Code:
Platform: AMD Athlon(tm) II Neo N36L Dual-Core Processor
CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 Haswell Dual-Core 3.2 GHz
RAM: 8033MB
Storage: RAID: 4 WDD RED 4TB
Boot Device: Mirror 2 x 32 GB USB drive

I have one ZFSPool (not encrypted)
and 5 plugins in 5 jails where I want to remove one of them.
1. Transmission - including OpenVPN + firewall rules that only communication to the internet via VPN are possilbe.
2. sickchill
3. Plex
4.Couchpotato
5. resilio <-- can be deleted

So my high level upgrade path I am planning is as follows:
Code:
1. remove resilio plugin and delete resilio jail
2. Update via WebGUI to FreeNAS 11.0
3. Upgrade jails 1-4 to iocage jails somehow
4. Upgrade FreeNAS 11.0 to 12.1

It looks like that couchpotato is not really working on 12 so I might have to replace it with a different plugin.

This is the preparation I am planning to take before I start the upgrade process:

Code:
1. Backup data
2. Save the FreeNAS config via WebGUI
3. Save the sickchill config
4. Prepare 2 32 GB usb devices with FreeNAS 11.0 and 12.1 installer when something goes wrong

I am happy for any advice if this make sense and all the things I am missing.