Upgrade 3 x 3tb raidz to 6 x 3tb raidz2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfast500

Explorer
The Question: I currently have 3 x 3tb HDD in a raidz1 configuration and with 3 more drives coming this week I want to upgrade to 6 x 3tb raidz2. I would like to retain my plugins/jails, data, shares, etc... with all the same permissions. I really would rather not rebuild everything from scratch. What is the best method for doing this? Is it possible via the cloud?

Solutions:
I have researched this and came up with these methods so far:
  • Manual backup of the data + rebuild the plugins/ jails manually then transfer data back. (I want to avoid this as I have spent many hours/days/weeks building it to its current state)
  • Use the replication feature to replicate to another FreeNAS server... (I don't have another server)
  • Question: Is there another option to do this via the cloud? I don't care if it will take a week to migrate. (60Mb download 5Mb upload). I do not have an external drive large enough especially after buying 3 more 3tb drives. I was thinking with Amazon cloud... unlimited space... (I think they have file size restrictions so nvm)
Current Plan: I have a dropbox account~50gb space, 320gb external, 2 laptops, 1 windows tablet, and 3 PCs with a little bit of storage space left on each. I am willing copy as much data from my FreeNAS as I can to the devices temporarily just in-case since I have no real backup solution yet :(

Background: As mentioned above I have put a lot of work into my FreeNAS to get to get it to its current state and working the way I want it to. I have had it for over a year and currently on the stable release train.
  • Hardware: i5 2500k, 24GB ram, 3 x 3tb wd reds (soon 6 x 3tb wd reds)
At it current state:
  • Full fledge AMP server
  • Plex Media Server
  • Cruciblewds (PXE boot)
  • CIFS Shares / Data + Media
  • PHPVirtualBox with 8 Virutal test environments (not all running simultaneously :p)
  • Transmission client

Last edited:

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I'm going to ignore the fact that you are not using ECC RAM, and I will try not to yell at you.

Wait a second.

I think you're overthinking this, or I'm mis-reading you.

You want your current 3x3TB pool, which also contains your jails, migrating to a 3x6TB pool? This is a piece of cake. If you offline and replace each drive, one at a time, allow each to resilver, then, after you have done this to the third drive, everything will be just as you left it, and you will auto-expand to double your pool.

This procedure is clearly spelled out in the documentation sir?

tfast500

Explorer
I'm going to ignore the fact that you are not using ECC RAM, and I will try not to yell at you.

Wait a second.

I think you're overthinking this, or I'm mis-reading you.

You want your current 3x3TB pool, which also contains your jails, migrating to a 3x6TB pool? This is a piece of cake. If you offline and replace each drive, one at a time, allow each to resilver, then, after you have done this to the third drive, everything will be just as you left it, and you will auto-expand to double your pool.

This procedure is clearly spelled out in the documentation sir?

:/ Ya I know but I had the mobo and cpu from my gaming rig that I upgraded. I couldn't justify buying all new hardware for my NAS... Someday I plan to get the proper hardware and ECC ram... :)

I believe you have miss understood. I am adding 3 more 3tb drives to my current setup of 3 x 3tb drives. I will have a total of 6 drives they are each 3tb WD Reds.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
:/ Ya I know but I had the mobo and cpu from my gaming rig that I upgraded. I couldn't justify buying all new hardware for my NAS... Someday I plan to get the proper hardware and ECC ram... :)

I believe you have miss understood. I am adding 3 more 3tb drives to my current setup of 3 x 3tb drives. I will have a total of 6 drives they are each 3tb WD Reds.
Yes sir, you're right. I misunderstood. But now I understand.

You can't expand a 3x3TB vdev to 6x3TB. Can't be done.

You have two choices, the way I see it:

1) Figure out some way to copy all the data off, then blow away your pool, and reconstitute it as a 6x3TB RAID-Z2
2) Make a second vdev of 3x3TB with the new drives, and stripe the two vdev's together. It's not QUITE RAID-Z2, since you can lose one drive *PER VDEV*, instead of any two drives, but, you wouldn't have to do anything at all. You wouldn't have to backup, move, or do anything to anything already in the pool.

tfast500

Explorer
Well, I ended up buying a 5tb external drive. Hopefully it does the job.I am thinking about hooking it up directly via sata to bypass USB. I am going to just rebuild the entire NAS... I have confidence that it will go much quicker and easier since I have set it up before. I just know I ran into a couple caveats that I will need to research again... In a way it will be nice to get a refresher to doing this again. Plus I can rename my naming conventions and re organize/clean up my NAS in the process.

Last edited:

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I was actually thinking of doing the same thing---getting one of those external 5TB drives that are dirt cheap.

tfast500

Explorer
I was actually thinking of doing the same thing---getting one of those external 5TB drives that are dirt cheap.
I was able to get a 5TB external for $130.00 The price was pretty nice and so far its been doing its job :)

TheDubiousDubber

Contributor
Can I ask which one you have? From my understanding a lot of the larger capacity externals have a raid 0 setup inside their enclosure so it is typically a dual drive external meaning its USB or nothing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.