Updating to 11.1-U1 breaks SMART for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

paradoxiom

Patron
I updated, all was fine, then I read a post somewhere about SMART not being necessary to be turned on for the boot device (SD card/USB mirror), so I went to Storage>View Disks, clicked the boot device opened the window and unticked SMART, clicked ok, then I get some log message like:

Code:
smartd[88869]: Unable to register device /dev/da8 (no Directive -d removable). Exiting.

Then I checked services, SMART was off, so I clicked to turn it on, it just says at the top in the green banner that appears for a few seconds something like failed to start service.

So now the SMART service isn't running at all, but it's still ticked as being on for the boot device, as well as all the others.

I rolled back to the previous version that I'm currently running, FreeNAS-11.1-RELEASE, and SMART service runs fine etc.

I'm thinking that I am probably just going to have to do a clean install with U1, but I'd really rather not have to do that whole thing again as I'm in the middle of moving house (tomorrow actually).

Also thinking I will just wait until U2 is released because the log spam that everyone is getting is annoying too.

Since I'm rolled back and not on the boot with the faulty SMART service would it even be helpful to give any logs?

I actually tried rolling back, deleting the U1 download/boot, and redownloading and installing it, but SMART service still fails to start so I rolled back again.

Any suggestions? Willing to give as much info as I can to get this sorted while I've got the energy.

Thanks in advance.

The same happened to me, da8 is most likely your USB boot device, if yes go to Storage -> View Disks, click on da8 and disable SMART, you should now be able to start the SMART service.

Edit: Sorry didn't read the initial part of your post, appears you already did that, but if da8 is your boot or another USB device double check SMART is disable.

paradoxiom

Patron
The same happened to me, da8 is most likely your USB boot device, if yes go to Storage -> View Disks, click on da8 and disable SMART, you should now be able to start the SMART service.

Edit: Sorry didn't read the initial part of your post, appears you already did that, but if da8 is your boot or another USB device double check SMART is disable.

Yeah da8 is the main boot device (SD card)
da9 is a mirrored USB boot device.

Smart service is, according to the webui, not running, enabling it "failed to start service" or whatever the standard message is.

Thinking I'm probably just going to need to do a fresh install, but I'm fine running FreeNAS-11.1-RELEASE for now - although I have read comments about memory leaks on that version which were fixed in U1, I don't think I've had any memory leak issues like that but how could I tell for sure?

Drives list on RELEASE now:
0tJ2fO1.png

I'd upgrade again and show the error and post some logs but like I say moving house and all that so not a priority at the moment, just wanted to get the ball rolling on this while I've got the energy to make the post.

Edit: Actually, the only problem i've been having with RELEASE so far is SMB service crashing at random times and needing to be restarted to work again, minor annoyance but when I search for the bug and find it on github bug reports etc and see "this has been fixed" I just get a bit annoyed because, well, obviously it hasn't been fixed.

Last edited:

paradoxiom

Patron
Some other log messages on RELEASE that I don't know if I should care about or not but just throwing them out here:

Code:
Jan 23 02:15:17 OrbitalHub daemon[3667]:	 2018/01/23 02:15:17 [ERR] agent: failed to sync remote state: No cluster leader
Jan 23 02:15:19 OrbitalHub daemon[3667]:	 2018/01/23 02:15:19 [WARN] raft: Heartbeat timeout from "" reached, starting election

Code:
Jan 23 02:15:10 OrbitalHub daemon[3667]:	 2018/01/23 02:15:10 [WARN] agent: check "service:nas-health" has the 'script' field, which has been deprecated and replaced with the 'args' field. See https://www.consul.io/docs/agent/checks.html

Here's the full demsg from RELEASE. Just incase there's any sanity checks in there someone more knowledgeable than me will see.

paradoxiom

Patron
SMART is still enable for both, you need to disable it and the SMART service will start.

Yeah that's the thing - I try to disable it and it tells me it can't. Like I say currently not on U1, I'll update it now because I doubt my drives are gonna fail in the next day or two (hopefully, sods' law -__-) so I'll update and try any suggestions etc tonight before my move tomorrow. Can tell you exactly what the error is then etc.

Yeah that's the thing - I try to disable it and it tells me it can't.

Note that the SMART service will only work after SMART for both da8 and da9 is disable, so it's expected to still get an error after you disable the first one.

paradoxiom

Patron
Yeah but it wont disable for those devices. I just updated to U1. Here's the dmesg.

After that I get this in the log.

When I try to disable smart on the boot device it fails and says this:
A8XId5t.png

SMART service not on and can't be turned on:
yjuPO6N.png

Try to turn it on, it doesn't work and I just get this in the bottom log:
gx9yYHP.png

So looks like rolling back.

Thanks in advance anyone.

paradoxiom

Patron
Not trying to be problematic here but like I say I can't turn /either/ of the smart options on them off, it just won't do it. I shouldn't have messed with the setting in the first place because for some reason it is still broken after rolling back and re-updating, which to me is totally bizzare because shouldn't the update use your current working settings? SMART only stopped working when I was messing with the enable/disable on the boot devices.

One of the screenshots you posted shows smart disable for one but it's still enabled for the other, you just need to disable the other one for the SMART service to start.

paradoxiom

Patron
One of the screenshots you posted shows smart disable for one but it's still enabled for the other, you just need to disable the other one for the SMART service to start.

Thanks, disabled smart for both and now SMART service runs fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.