Up and running with FreeNAS 11.0 after successful upgrade from 9.1.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

akmedia999

Cadet
Hello Folks, Just want to quickly introduce myself and thank everyone involved with developing v11. I started using v9.1.1 from 2014 and the machine has been running really well and served my primary use of backing up 4-5 macs, windows and storing photos, music…

When i got the word that v11 is out and it can support VMs, it got me excited to try it out. But I always had this nagging feeling about me screwing up the upgrade and start all over again. Also breaking the mantra "Don't fix if ain't broken".. For the past 3 years this has been working non stop.

But since I had the downtime during this weekend, started my journey into upgrade. Since my 9.1.1 was running with 4GB USB drive, my first step was to upgrade that to 16GB. Also I upgraded memory and LAN card as well.

The upgrade process did not work directly going from 9.1.1 to 11, so I had to go 9.3 first and then to 11. There were pointers about this on the forum but not explicit. Although i lost few hours on this, i now get some of the inner workings of all this.

So far so good. Will continue the journey and report back.

My configuration:

AsRock z77Extreme 4, Core i5, 24GB memory, 10 2TB drives, 2 32GB ZIL, 2 120GB SSDs for VMs.

Status
Not open for further replies.