zpool can't be found after upgrade to 9.1.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Umang

Cadet
Ok so here's the full situation

I'm running freenas on a VM with physicals RDMs this is a home machine so yes i understand the risks and they're acceptable.

So, I was running 8.0.3 and then did an upgrade to 9.1.1 and it wasn't finding the pool when i did an auto import so then I tried a zpool import and got nothing. So then i decided to reinstall 8.0.3 and that imports the zfs pool fine. So i tried a clean new install of 9.1.1 and back to the same issue with i can't find the pool

Any thoughts?

All the disks look fine.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
How about you don't use RDM! Read the stickies.. RDM = kiss your data goodbye. LOL

Umang

Cadet
My data isn't gone though, if i re install 8.0.3 pool imports fine. Why can't the new version find my pool?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You are missing my point. RDM sounds like it should be a very good choice for ZFS. Especially since ZFS wants access to the disks directly. But for whatever reason, RDM doesn't quite work as well as you'd think. It has had weird and strange unexplained behavior(has eaten more then 40-50 people's data), and that is why the whole virtualization sticky says don't use RDM.

All I can tell you regarding your problem is that "its broke". Virtualizing adds a layer of complexity that pretty much nobody will touch because we don't want to be the person that says to do something that benign and very simple, and your next post is "ZOMG my pool is now saying its corrupted and unmountable". We've actually had that happen and many of us would feel horribly guilty. As such, there are no recovery tools at all for ZFS recovery, so you literally could just kiss your data goodbye at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.