Unifi controller Update past 6.0.43 - How??

norskman

Contributor
Can someone who knows please help us all here?

within a jail I can update my Unifi Controller software.
I give the command:
portsnap fetch update

then:
make reinstall clean

This recompiles the latest version.

The latest version on the Ports is 6.0.43

On the Unifi web site - the download version there is 6.0.45
But that file, once downloaded is a .deb type
How do I use that .deb file to upgrade my existing 6.0.43 server to the newer 6.0.45 please?

I am sure a lot of people will be having this problem.

Last edited:

norskman

Contributor
many thanks
There is a .deb file on the Unifi web site - is there way to get that installed?

not sure how to use git or svn to install something in a jail - any pointers? Happy to try

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
There is a .deb file on the Unifi web site - is there way to get that installed?
No, FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD not Linux.
not sure how to use git or svn to install something in a jail - any pointers?
The second link I posted above tells you how.

norskman

Contributor
yes, many thanks. I did not read all of your link. I see it now.

I will deal with it now.many thanks for the pointers.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
How do I use that .deb file to upgrade my existing 6.0.43 server to the newer 6.0.45 please?
If you already run 6.0.43 from ports, you will have to wait until the ports maintainer updates the FreeBSD port to 6.0.45.

I am sure a lot of people will be having this problem.
What problem? Is 6.0.43 in any specific way broken?

My 2¢ - This is one of the reasons why I moved away from both the docker images and the plugins - the update cycle is not as quick as UniFi's posting of their official packages. That said, given the past 12 months of UniFi updates, I tend to stay at my current version until I see stability.

norskman

Contributor
It was UNIFI tech support asking me to upgrade.
and you are clear on the ports situation too. many thanks

Ok, that's different.

What you could do is spin up a Ubuntu or Debian VM in FreeNAS instead of using the plugin/jail approach. It will be more overhead (e.g, memory/CPU) but you can then pull down the .deb file directly from UniFi and restore your config.

Likely stating the obvious - make sure you have a copy (or a couple of copies of the config in different places - suspenders and belt :wink:). If you can, keep the same IP on the new install as well will make it easier.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
If you can, keep the same IP on the new install as well will make it easier
If you have a DHCP server that is well configurable like OPNsense or Ubiquiti Edgerouter or anything similar, you can distribute the address of the Unifi Controller via DHCP.
  • Option: 43
  • Type: String
  • Pattern: 01:04:AA:BB:CC:DD
With AA:BB:CC:DD being your IPv4 address in hex.

Good idea @Patrick M. Hausen . I forgot to add that adding the UniFi Remote Adoption option in the DHCP server helps - assuming that the clients (APs, switches) are using DHCP. Otherwise, you'll have to use set-inform on each AP/switch to point to the controller. (See UniFi - Layer 3 Adoption for Remote UniFi Controllers if you aren't already aware)