Understanding Snapshots beside hourly'S

tiberiusQ

Contributor
Dear all,

I do currently use hourly snapshots incl. replications and I think I understand how it works BUT If I wanna do eg. Daily snapshots I start to getting confused.

For example, I setup daily snapshots, start 08:00 and end 18:00 so the snapshot will occur at 08:00, does this mean the snapshot will be open till 18:00 so all changes during that period will be part of this snapshot OR does it just contain the diffs. between the first and the second day ?

I hope that somebody can clarify this - Thx & Greets

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
The snapshot always "contains" the entire target filesystem as it was at the point of the snapshot.

The snapshot itself isn't a copy of the data, but rather pointers to all the blocks on the disks where the filesystem had allocated data.

Subsequent snapshots only need to point out the blocks that had changed since the last one (and reference the last snapshot also to know where to start from).

Until you destroy a snapshot, the blocks that it uses can't be available for re-use, so after you delete files, you may need to destroy snapshots to really get the space back.

I'm not sure I get exactly what you set up when you say daily snapshots from 08:00 to 18:00... perhaps you set the interval to 1 day... this would mean that some time within the time window you gave, when the last snapshot is 1 day old, a new one will be taken... probably this will always happen at 08:00.

tiberiusQ

Contributor
08:00 to 18:00 is the start and end time of the periodic snapshot but this seems to make no sense because the snapshot will be created instanteanous at 08:00....Thats why I was asking if then the snapshot will be kept open till 18:00 to capture all diffs in that time OR the snapshot will just record/capture the diffs between 08:00 first snapshot and 08:00 second daily snapshot ?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
The time window is intended to work where you have a snapshot interval shorter than the window... like every 1 hour.

If you set the interval longer than the window, it can only happen once in the window.

tiberiusQ

Contributor
Based on that fundamental confusion I still run only hourly snapshots during working hours with an retention time of 1 year, which is crazy.....SO it is time to understand the snapshot logic beside the hourlies to be able to setup a more ressource friendly snapshot plan....

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Hourly snapshots for a year is indeed a bad plan.

Hourly for a few weeks is normally enough, then either use backups or replication to keep them longer.

You could also look for the pruning script from @fracai https://www.ixsystems.com/community...napshots-similar-to-apples-timemachine.10304/ which may help you to keep it under control without needing to shorten the retention on the hourly job.

Remember that snapshots are not your backup... they are just a tool that can help you to have a backup executed well. (and maybe to do some quick file recovery in the case of accidental deletions)

tiberiusQ

Contributor
I try to ask differtly- If I setup a daily snapshot start and end 08:00 - 18:00 so the snapshot will be created every day at 08:00. between which period the snapshot will grow in size and why ?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Snapshots don't change in size. They are a frozen point in time.

Perhaps you could try to explain what you want to happen and we can guide you on how to get to that.

tiberiusQ

Contributor
From the documentation: For example, a snapshot where no files have changed takes 0 MB of storage, but as changes are made to files, the snapshot size changes to reflect the size of the changes.

So in my szenario is it between 8 and 18:00 or between 8 and 8 from day to day ?

zenon1823

Explorer
SIDEBAR NOTE:
So in my szenario is it between 8 and 18:00 or between 8 and 8 from day to day ?
18:00 is 6PM not 8PM.

I too found the snapshot configuration logic confusing when I first went to set it up for daily and longer frequency. I'm going to approach the answer slightly differently. When setting up daily snapshots, the window is somewhat meaningless (to reiterate what sretalla said) the window has meaning when snapshots have an interval less then 1 day. ie if you have hourly snapshots they are taken hourly withing that window.

For example I wanted snapshots to run every day at 1AM and be retained for 2 weeks. I initially thought I could put a frequency of 1 day, from 1AM -2AM, but this caused the actual snapshot execution time to wander slightly every day, or even miss a day if it wandered to much.

So the configuration I use to have a reliable snapshot every day at 1AM is to use a 12hr frequency. this ensures a snapshot is waiting to happen as soon as 1AM hits every day. see below:
snapshot.JPG

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
From the documentation: For example, a snapshot where no files have changed takes 0 MB of storage, but as changes are made to files, the snapshot size changes to reflect the size of the changes.
No. Don't think of it like that.

After the snapshot, the contents of the disk can change, which can change the size of the snapshot in the sense that the snapshot requires that some blocks on the disk are reserved in order for the snapshot contents to remain the same (which they must).

The "contents" of the snapshot will not change and the size of those "contents" will also not change. The space that you can't use for new files on the disk because you're keeping that snapshot can change based on your changes to files that were in that snapshot. None of that relates in any way to the time window you specified.

Last edited:

tiberiusQ

Contributor
Either I think too complicated or daily snapshots are the most complicated things ever....
Ok. the implemenation start and end is bad and confusing if you do not setup hourly's, right ?
The snapshot will not be kept open between if you setup eg. daylies...so if you do eg. a reboot during that time it has no impact to the snapshot, right ?
The snapshot size will just reflect the size since the last snapshot, but do not contain them, right ?
If this is true, and all I wanna do is to realize a trivial daily fuckin ;-) snapshot I just have to set it up and ignore start and end including working hours because the snapshots does not contain the start and end diffs, furthermore it is just what it is, a point in time snapshot of that dataset?

sretalla