Understanding FreeNAS' GUI Scheduler

wraith

Contributor
Hi

I'm trying to tweak my SMART scan settings as I suspect these are causing power spikes daily between 2am and 4am. Ideally I would like to shift this to a time during the day when my solar energy system can support the power usage [2.8kW fairly sustained over these 2 hours]. However, I'm struggling, even after reading the manual, on understanding to use and setup the schedule using the scheduler.

At the moment I'm contemplating a short-test weekly and a long-test monthly. Let's take the short-test as an example to work through my logic [or lack thereof].

I would like the short-test to occur every Friday at around 11am. In order for this to set this up do I have to:
  • Set Hour -> Each selected hour [tab] to 11 [that is, SMART will run at that time whenever a flagged Friday arrives], and;
  • Select all days under Day of Month -> Each selected day of the month [select each day as any day could be a Friday depending on the year and month], and;
  • Keep all months ticked [I want the check to run all year 'round], and;
  • Select only Friday on Day of the week? [So that the check only runs on a Friday]
Is my understanding correct?

At the moment, I'm struggling, a little bit, how the second bullet point and fourth bullet point inter-relate, if at all.

Thanks in advance

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Select all days under Day of Month -> Each selected day of the month [select each day as any day could be a Friday depending on the year and month], and;
That should work, but you can just use the "Every N day of month" and set it to 1 like this:
1550346469926.png

That will have it run every day, as long as it is a selected day under your fourth point.
At the moment, I'm struggling, a little bit, how the second bullet point and fourth bullet point inter-relate, if at all.
You have a sequence of conditions that all need to be true. If it is a selected hour, and it is a selected day, and it is a selected month and if it is a selected day, then the test will run. These conditions give you a lot of freedom to choose when a test runs and it sounds like you are working it correctly.

wraith

Contributor
@Chris Moore - thanks for the confirmation and clarification :)