Unable to update Plex Jail

Status
Not open for further replies.

finsfree

Dabbler
I'm trying to not delete the plex jail and create another one just because I can't update the jail. This is a plex jail not a plugin.

After opening a shell terminal in the jail, I typed:
1. service plexmediaserver stop
2. pkg update && pkg update multimedia/plexmediaserver
3. service plexmediaserver start

This did work for me in the past, however nothing gets updated. I am currently on Version 1.12.1.4885 and I want to update to 1.12.3.49.73 (the current update).

root@Plex_Jail:/ # service plexmediaserver stop
Stopping plexmediaserver.
Waiting for PIDS: 44358, 44358.
Cleaning up leftover child processes.
Waiting for PIDS: 44389 44388 44387 44367.
root@Plex_Jail:/ # pkg update && pkg upgrade multimedia/plexmediaserver
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
Your packages are up to date.
root@Plex_Jail:/ #

m0nkey_

MVP
It's likely the pkg has not been updated yet. It lags behind official releases.

Ports are usually more up to date.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
The package was just updated 2 days ago to 1.12.2.4929 followed shortly after by Plex pushing out a new public release. Give it a few days and feld will have the package updated.

garm

Wizard
And the default setting is to get the quarterly pkg updates, not bleeding edge

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
On new iocage jails.

@finsfree what is the output of freebsd-version in your plex jail?

pschatz100

Guru
I'm trying to not delete the plex jail and create another one just because I can't update the jail. This is a plex jail not a plugin.#
By default, new jails are set to quarterly libraries by etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf within the jail.
In the case that pkg search does not find the latest libraries, it might be necessary to create a /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf file WITHIN THE JAIL ITSELF that sets the latest libraries.

Assuming a default iocage jail installation, the new FreeBSD.conf file should be located in
/mnt/iocage/jails/YOUR-JAIL-NAME/root/usr/local/etc/pkg/repos
This entire path may not exist by default, so you may have to create it. In the repos folder, create a new file named FreeBSD.conf and enter the following string:
Code:
FreeBSD: {pkg
	url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest"
}

This string in the new FreeBSD.conf file will over ride the default jail behavior and give you latest updates.
If any of this does not make sense, or you wish to learn more, there are some posts that explain it in more detail.

finsfree

Dabbler

finsfree

Dabbler
I'm on version 1.12.1.4885. Why can't I update to the latest? Freshports has the latest version.
upload_2018-4-21_13-31-11.png

finsfree

Dabbler

Yet but you should be able to manually update to the latest version if it is available in freshports.com.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Why can't I update to the latest?
Because FreeBSD 11.0 is EOL and no longer supported. Is your plex jail a warden based jail or an iocage based jail?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Holy wall of text. Use the code tags when posting shell output and it will keep the formatting.

Ok let's try this again. Was your jail created in the old gui, the new gui or via the shell?

finsfree

Dabbler
Because FreeBSD 11.0 is EOL and no longer supported. Is your plex jail a warden based jail or an iocage based jail?

I am not UNIX guys so I'm not a 100% sure. What does EOL mean? And how would I find out what kind of jail doing I have?

finsfree

Dabbler
Holy wall of text. Use the code tags when posting shell output and it will keep the formatting.

Ok let's try this again. Was your jail created in the old gui, the new gui or via the shell?

Oh, the shell

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

finsfree

Dabbler
End Of Life. It's no longer supported.

Then you will have to recreate your jail using iocage to have your jail based on a supported version. FreeBSD 11.1 is the current supported version.

Ok, my next question would be how do I create a Plex jail using iocage?

pschatz100

Guru
That post dates from 2014. It is obsolete. The Warden jail manager is no longer supported. This is a FreeBSD thing, not a FreeNAS thing, so don't blame FreeNAS. However, it is time for you to move on.
Ok, my next question would be how do I create a Plex jail using iocage?
First of all, it is not necessary for you to delete your old Warden jail and Plex installation. You can keep them around for as long as you want - but they won't update anymore. Just make certain that your new jail uses a different IP address than the old jail. That way, there will be no conflict between them.

Make certain FreeNAS is updated to 11.1u4. This version has the best implementation of iocage so far. There are several posts that explain how to create iocage jails and install Plex. Search is your friend. Of course, you could also look up iocage in the documentation.

At the end of the day, there is no harm in trying to create a new jail with iocage. Just make certain the IP address does not conflict with anything else in your network (including your old jails) and you should be OK. If you mess up the new jail, you will not affect the rest of the system.

Iocage is supposed to be fully supported in FreeNAS 11.2 and they might offer a way to migrate older Warden jails to Iocage jails. So, you really have two choices: 1) update FreeNAS to 11.1u4 andcreate the new jail via the CLI, or wait for FreeNAS 11.2.

Or course, if the version of Plex you have is working OK, then you can just keep running it for now.

finsfree

Dabbler
That post dates from 2014. It is obsolete. The Warden jail manager is no longer supported. This is a FreeBSD thing, not a FreeNAS thing, so don't blame FreeNAS. However, it is time for you to move on.

First of all, it is not necessary for you to delete your old Warden jail and Plex installation. You can keep them around for as long as you want - but they won't update any more. Just make certain that your new jail uses a different IP address than the old jail. That way, there will be no conflict between them.

Make certain FreeNAS is updated to 11.1u4. This version has the best implementation of iocage so far. There are several posts that explain how to create iocage jails and install Plex. Search is your friend. Of course, you could also look up iocage in the documentation.

At the end of the day, there is no harm in trying to create a new jail with iocage. Just make certain the IP address does not conflict with anything else in your network (including your old jails) and you should be OK. If you mess up the new jail, you will not affect the rest of the system.

Iocage is supposed to be fully supported in FreeNAS 11.2 and they might offer a way to migrate older Warden jails to Iocage jails. So, you really have two choices: 1) update FreeNAS to 11.1u4 andcreate the new jail via the CLI, or wait for FreeNAS 11.2.

Or course, if the version of Plex you have is working OK, then you can just keep running it for now.

Thank you very much! This explains a lot about what's going on with the new changes to the jails in FreeBSD.

I don't like to sit back and wait so I'll make an attempt at creating a iocage jail. If I mess up i'll just delete and start over.

Status
Not open for further replies.