Unable to set of change password due to /etc "filesystem full"

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsp

Cadet
Hello,

The problem:
on three machines, 1:FreeNAS-8.3.1-RELEASE-x64 (r13452), 2 and 3: FreeNAS-8.3.1-RELEASE-p2-x64 (r12686+b770da6_dirty)
(we're in the middle of a hardware migration) with 75 users it was no longer possible to set a
password for a new users or change the password for an existing
user. On the surface the reason is that /etc is full. The output from df -k
showed: /dev/md0 4663 4625 -335 108% /etc.

What I've found out so far:
The files /etc/local/proftpd/blacklist.dat and /etc/mail/aliases
together made up more than 2.5 MB. Deleting them both worked great until the next
reboot. Then they were either overwritten with the defalt (proftpd/blacklist.dat)
or re-generated (aliases).
After deleting /conf/base/etc/local/proftpd/blacklist.dat things seemed again to be
OK. Until the next reboot, as the aliases file was re-generated and now
it alone is about 2.5 MB. Checking out the file itself showed
the default file (/conf/base/etc/mail/aliases) with the user email
addresses appended to it, followed by the default file again and
then the addresses etc etc. A grep for "FreeBSD" (in the first line of the default file) showed over 950 matches.
Deleting the file and running:
Code:
# /usr/sbin/service ix-aliases start

immediately returned "/etc: write failed, filesystem is full".
The aliases file was once again around 2.5 MB. I can reproduce this with a reboot or by rerunning the service
start command. It really seems that the script to generate the aliases file will fill up all available space. I don't
think resizing /etc would help.

My workaround:
I've edited /conf/base/etc/rc.d/ix-aliases so that at boot it would just copy the default file and append an alias for root
to the /etc/mail/aliases file.

I've seen other posts here and elsewhere concerning the inability to change a password, but the answers never went
further than resizing the /etc partition. Oddly enough a fourth machine also running FreeNAS-8.3.1-RELEASE-x64 (r13452)
doesn't show these symptoms. Running the service script to generate an aliases file does just what it should. Final
size of the complete file is 5.5 KB including the email addresses for 75 users. This makes me a bit suspicious that I
maybe have brought this on myself but I haven't (yet) found my failure.

I'd very much like to hear of a real solution to the problem, or perhaps a tip as to where I may have gone astray.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.