/var/etc full on fresh USB install

Status
Not open for further replies.

z0ned

Cadet
Hi all

I have installed FreeNAS 8.3.1 from a USB stick onto an HP Proliant N40L. The N40L has no disk - I am running only from the USB stick.

When I go to shell and type df -h it shows that /etc is mounted on /dev/md0 and is at 108% capacity. The size is 4.6MB. When I look for big files I see the /etc/mail/aliases file is 1.38 MB. I have unmounted, and edited /conf/base/etc/md_size to double the size of the /etc partition and rebooted, but the /etc/mail/aliases file just increases in size to 6.2MB.

How I caught this problem was trying to add a new user, the first one. I get the message:

manage.py: [middleware.exceptions:38] [Middleware Error: Operation could not be performed. pwd_mkdb: /etc/pwd.db to /etc/pwd.db.tmp: No space left on device pw: passwd file update: Inappropriate ioctl for device].

Any help will be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Matt.

ProtoSD

MVP
Have you tried reinstalling FreeNAS again?

How big is your USB flash drive?

It could be some kind of bug, but this is the first time I've seen this problem here.

z0ned

Cadet
Hi Protosd

Thanks for your response!

This is my 3rd install and this time I used a 16GB stick which should be plenty big enough.

I did find one similar issue on the forums here:

http://forums.freenas.org/showthrea...-install&highlight=space+left+device+password

The original issue reported in that thread never appears to have been resolved. Interestingly, in his screenshot /etc is showing at 108% capacity, which is exactly the same number I get. We get to the problem in different ways but it is both to do with no space left on /etc on a fresh install.

Wait a sec...

OK so I tried changing the root password via the GUI and got this message

Error: Operation could not be performed. pwd_mkdb: /etc/pwd.db to /etc/pwd.db.tmp: No space left on device pw: passwd file update: Inappropriate ioctl for device

So these are exactly the same issue.

Thanks again

Matt.

ProtoSD

MVP
I'll move this over to the bugs section. Maybe William will have some idea. Very strange.

paleoN

Wizard
It could be some kind of bug, but this is the first time I've seen this problem here.
I just tried it and didn't have any trouble.

I have installed FreeNAS 8.3.1
Which one? The complete line from System Information - Build. Also, list any & all services you have configured.

So these are exactly the same issue.
If you mean that /etc is filled, yes.

I believe there was a commit or two done to address this in the past.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, you are using a non-release version.. Have you tried 8.3.0?

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Not much you can do if you have hundreds of users, increase md_size even more...

You might want to consider using LDAP for users instead.

z0ned

Cadet
Thanks to everyone who responded. I am going to start fresh with 8.3.0.

@William - I was only adding a single user when I saw this issue.

@Cyberjock - thanks for taking the time to respond, but this really wasn't helpful. This is the bug forum, so this seems the right place for reporting something that maybe doesnt work in a RC version.

Thanks again everyone

Matt.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The reason why I asked is because if it still doesn't work in 8.3.0 then we know its also an issue with the release. If not, then the bug may have been created by changes made in 8.3.1. But feel free to disregard my comment. I don't have to deal with the issue. Considering protosd hasn't seen this bug before I was curious as to if it is new.

z0ned

Cadet
Just confirming that I am up and running in version 8.3.0 and I am unable to replicate this error.

Thanks again for the help y'all.

Matt.

Status
Not open for further replies.