SOLVED Unable to Manage Permissions on Samba share?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xelas

Explorer
I am unable to manage permissions from within Windows for one of my shares, the "Samsung_840_Pro" (I get a "invalid parameter" error"). Trying to do so causes samba to:
"NAS kernel: pid 57510 (smbd), uid 0: exited on signal 6 (core dumped)". Also, After a period of time (a few hours?), trying to copy files directly between the "Samsung_840_Pro" share and any other share will cause an empty file with the proper filename to get written to the target of the copy, the copy will stall and fail with a "cannot write; please remove write protection" error, and samba will coredump. Copying from that share to a local PC, then copying the same files to any other share works fine, however. Copying between any shares that are not the "Samsung_840_Pro" works perfectly fine.

"MainVol" is a pool on a set of WD Red drives.
"Samsung_840_Pro" is a separate pool on a single Samsung SSD - the intention was to create a "scratch" drive that I could beat up for temp files, etc. without thrashing the spinning rust. It's an older SSD that works perfectly fine, but is too small to be useful in a laptop.

I've tried re-mapping the shares, and I've tried accessing and remapping the shares on multiple Windows PCs.

Some background:

I have the following pools and volumes:
CPalu1s.png

Here are my CIFS shares:
2AijR9t.jpg

Here are the datastore permissions options (identical across all of them except for paths):
H4ayRdO.jpg

and the Share settings (identical except for the paths for all my shares, so I'll paste only one):
ycvJRtj.jpg

Here is the permissions view of that Samsung_840_Pro share from a Windows PC (the permissions don't populate):
zXXlW3A.jpg

And here is the same window from the same PC pointing to any other share (note that the permissions are populated):

5gM1ZLd.jpg

Trying to apply any permissions settings to the "Samsung_840_Pro" share instantly causes an error, and Samba instantly coredumps with a "code 6". Changing permissions on any other share works fine:
WXlRyXR.jpg

I don't understand what is going on here and how to fix this.

Xelas

Explorer
OK - After a lot of digging around deep down in various permissions-related rabbit holes, I noticed that the "broken" share was missing "zfs_space" and "zfsacl" vfs objects.

Added them back in, restarted samba, and HURRAY! I was able to view the permissions from within explorer.

Copying files still caused samba to dump. Darn.

I opened the share back up in explorer and reapplied the permissions I needed - for now, that is "allow all" for NAS\alex.

Copying files still caused samba to dump. Again. Darn.

I then disconnected and reconnected the share in Windows, and now everything works! Apparently permissions get cached somewhere?

Doing some digging on this led to this thread:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?th ... res.55420/
with another user who's samba config also dropped those vfs objects.

The interesting thing is that I created the 4 working shares a LONG time ago (back in 8.x days), but the non-working share was created fairly recently, perhaps even in the 11.0 days, but definitely at least in the 9.12 days. I never ran corral, BTW, so it couldn't be related to corral. Looks like that share was created with different default configs form the other shares, and somehow upgrading to 11.1 broke it.

Anyway - I'm back on track.

Status
Not open for further replies.