Unable to install OpenVPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

dratcha

Cadet
I am trying to get an OpenVPN client running on my FreeNas so I can route all internet traffic to a VPN service on one interface, and keep all LAN traffic on the second interface. The problem I have is I cannot get OpenVPN to work. Here is what I have done so far:

Created the Jail successfully.
Using the Shell in FreeNas I went into the jail using jexec 1 /bin/tcsh
I then installed OpenVPN using pkg_add -r openvpn
Verified the install
Code:
Jail# pkg_info -ox openvpn                                                      
Information for openvpn-2.2.2:                                      
Origin:                                                                         
security/openvpn

Used vi to edit /etc/rc.conf. Added openvpn_enable="YES"
Typed /usr/local/etc/rc.d/openvpn onestart...and this is where it breaks as seen in the snippet below.
Code:
Jail# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/openvpn onestart                                      
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/openvpn: WARNING: /usr/local/etc/openvpn/openvpn.conf is not readable.                                                                      
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/openvpn: WARNING: failed precmd routine for openvpn

The reason it is not readable is because there is no openvpn directory at /usr/local/etc. I have read the steps many times and it doesn't seem like I am missing anything. Am I missing something???

JaimieV

Guru
OpenVPN can't start without a configuration file telling it what to connect to and how to behave. You need to create the openvpn directory and the openvpn.conf configuration file that includes the connection and login info, and you'll perhaps also need your shared key file in the same dir if that's how the VPN is set up.

ProtoSD

MVP
Also, OpenVPN is already installed by default on FreeNAS. Though I can't tell you how to set it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.