Openvpn will not launch...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHCJ

Cadet
Hello!

I have for several hours now tried to create a openvpn server in one of my jails.
The configuration is done aswell as the certificate creation. But when i am about to launch the server.
sh /usr/local/etc/rc.d/openvpn start or service openvpn start
It says that the server is starting and a second later that there was a error:
Starting openvpn.
openvpn: WARNING: failed to start openvpn
I dont get any error in the logs. /usr/local/etc/openvpn/openvpn-status.log

I have a simillar thread on TekSyndicate where i have some more details about the problem: https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/issues-with-openvpn/91017/3
But i still haven't been able to figure out what the problem is. The problem seems to be related to the startup script but i will post the configuration for the server here aswell. https://docs.google.com/document/d/14XgWWiD2Y8s9aYlVgWmhvmikk8WvkA9R-VGCsO0yUic/edit

I would really apreciate all help i can get with this issue.

/JHCJ

JHCJ

Cadet
What IP address and netmask are you using?

Do you mean the internal ipadress of the machine?
Ipadress to the jail: 192.168.0.4
Ipadress to the server: 192.168.0.199
Router: 192.168.0.1
Netmask: 255.255.255.0

192.168.0.1xx is the same subnet as 192.168.0.x

/JHCJ

Thank you very much for all the help you have brought so far!

D

dlavigne

It's asking for a network address, not a host address, so you want: 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 .

JHCJ

Cadet
It's asking for a network address, not a host address, so you want: 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 .

That seems to have been the problem. Now openvpn doesn't complain about the network config anymore but it does complain about:
Error: private key password verification failed

Openvpn doesn't have any problems loading the diffle-hellman key but when it loads the private key it doesnt work. I can't remember to have set any password for the private key, neither did got asked for one when starting openvpn.

What might the solution to this be?

Greetings JHCJ

JHCJ

Cadet
That seems to have been the problem. Now openvpn doesn't complain about the network config anymore but it does complain about:
Error: private key password verification failed

Openvpn doesn't have any problems loading the diffle-hellman key but when it loads the private key it doesnt work. I can't remember to have set any password for the private key, neither did got asked for one when starting openvpn.

What might the solution to this be?

Greetings JHCJ

This seems to have been my fault. I had by accident put an extra space in the configuration file.
The logs now report that the boot sequence was completed. Now i just have to find out how to create the .ovpn file for each client.

Thnx for all the help so "far" :p

Status
Not open for further replies.