Unable to delete dataset / duplicate folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

fearLess

Cadet
Hi all,

Massive noob to all of this, thought I'd take the plunge and build a server as I was using my PC and it was just eating up too much power (gaming pc)

I have a HPE ProLiant Gen8 G1610T
16GB ECC Crucial
4TB WD Red + 2TB WD Green from an external HDD I was using on the PC

Running Freenas 9.3.1

Everything was setup great, currently had 1 volume with 2 datasets (movies and tv) and running plex, sabnzb and sickrage, that was all setup fine and no issues there.

The issues started when I plugged my NTFS HDD from the external HDD in and like an idiot I imported the disk in to the main directory, this moved over a movies folder (with all my movies on) in to the same directory as the movies folder/dataset I had created so I ended up with 2 folders called movies.

I created a new dataset called import and imported the disk into there instead and deleted everything that was transferred into the main directory but I can't seem to delete the movies folders, I delete one it reappears, I delete both they both reappear.

I tried to delete the movies dataset, I get no errors come up but the dataset doesn't disappear from the list and the folders are still there.

As I'm still completely new to this I don't want to end up doing something that could cost me the 2TB of data that I just transferred over as that's part of the new striped volume now.

My only thought would be that it's something to do with the jails linking to the movies data set which is preventing me from destroying it? I'm currently at work so racking my brain about it but I thought I'd ask the people in the know about these things before I end up losing my data.

Thanks in advance! Sorry if I come across as a complete and utter noob, as that's what I am.

Sakuru

Guru
My only thought would be that it's something to do with the jails linking to the movies data set which is preventing me from destroying it?
I think this is likely. Try stopping all of your jails.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I smell dataloss in your future. You have a dataset and a directory named the same thing in the same place if I understand you correctly. Do you know how to use ssh? I suggest ssh'ing into your server and removing the correct directory.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
You can try using the GUI to change the name of the dataset that has the same name as a folder. Then copy the data from the folder to the dataset, then delete the folder, and then change the name of the dataset back.

fearLess

Cadet
I smell dataloss in your future. You have a dataset and a directory named the same thing in the same place if I understand you correctly. Do you know how to use ssh? I suggest ssh'ing into your server and removing the correct directory.

Sorry by directory I meant a windows folder directory, the dataset created the folder that I'm currently navigating with my windows PC, hence me calling it a directory, sorry for the confusion.

You can try using the GUI to change the name of the dataset that has the same name as a folder. Then copy the data from the folder to the dataset, then delete the folder, and then change the name of the dataset back.

This worked, thanks very much for your help, I was going mental on how to fix it. Everythings working great now :)

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Glad it's working! :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.