No permission to create folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanthra

Cadet
My freeNAS and Plex have been functioning perfectly for about three weeks. Last night I began downloading some of the movies from my NAS to an external hard drive connected to my computer. When I get up this morning I tried to create a folder on my NAS to upload more movies back to it. It told me I needed permission to create folders as well as upload anything. I have not changed any settings and am doing things the same way I always have. I've searched all morning for an answer but nothing works.

Please help.

Vanthra

Cadet
I guess I should add that I am using Windows Explorer to transfer content back and forth. Even using a FTP client and logging in as root will not allow me to add folders or content.

Vanthra

Cadet
Ok, this works but I have no idea why anything suddenly quit working.

I next went back to the “Storage” tab to configure my permissions. I clicked the “Change Permissions” tab for my volume and selected “nobody” for Owner (user) and “nogroup” for Owner (group). I checked all nine Mode (permission) boxes (“read,” “write,” and “execute” for “User,” “Group” and “Other”) and selected “Windows” for the ACL setting.

What I do not understand is why did I have to do this suddenly when it worked fine last night.

CraftyClown

Patron
Ok, this works but I have no idea why anything suddenly quit working.

I next went back to the “Storage” tab to configure my permissions. I clicked the “Change Permissions” tab for my volume and selected “nobody” for Owner (user) and “nogroup” for Owner (group). I checked all nine Mode (permission) boxes (“read,” “write,” and “execute” for “User,” “Group” and “Other”) and selected “Windows” for the ACL setting.

What I do not understand is why did I have to do this suddenly when it worked fine last night.

Hey Vanthra,

You've set user and group to nobody and nogroup, but what did you change them from?

Has either your Freenas box or Windows machine been restarted in the past three weeks?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
It works now because you gave full permissions to everybody. It didn't work before because you had it configured incorrectly. You probably have guest access turn on and sometimes you log-in using credentials and the other is guest access. When using guest access if 'other' doesn't have write permissions then things don't work but if you use credentials to log-in then things will work because you won't be a guest.

Vanthra

Cadet
Hey Vanthra,

You've set user and group to nobody and nogroup, but what did you change them from?

Has either your Freenas box or Windows machine been restarted in the past three weeks?

Root and Wheel was what it was set on, and yes I tried rebooting everything.

Vanthra

Cadet
It works now because you gave full permissions to everybody. It didn't work before because you had it configured incorrectly. You probably have guest access turn on and sometimes you log-in using credentials and the other is guest access. When using guest access if 'other' doesn't have write permissions then things don't work but if you use credentials to log-in then things will work because you won't be a guest.

Then why for the past three weeks did it work fine then all of a sudden stop letting me copy things to it and restrict folder creation. I do have guest access turned on and made sure it had permission to write.

I'm confused as to why it would suddenly quit working.

CraftyClown

Patron
Root and Wheel was what it was set on, and yes I tried rebooting everything.

What I meant was, during the three weeks your setup was working, is it at all possible your windows or Freenas system has remained powered on?

I'm wondering if you had made some permissions related changes during the setup that had not been fully actioned and were awaiting a reboot. Once that reboot happened (possibly a couple of days ago) the settings took effect and your Windows access became limited.

There is no reason I can think of, for your permissions to suddenly change without some kind of interaction at one end of the chain.

Vanthra

Cadet
What I meant was, during the three weeks your setup was working, is it at all possible your windows or Freenas system has remained powered on?

I'm wondering if you had made some permissions related changes during the setup that had not been fully actioned and were awaiting a reboot. Once that reboot happened (possibly a couple of days ago) the settings took effect and your Windows access became limited.

There is no reason I can think of, for your permissions to suddenly change without some kind of interaction at one end of the chain.

I've actually rebooted the machine several times. The most recent was to install new RAM in the machine on Saturday. I am quite perplexed. The only thing I did was to copy some movies to an external hard drive that was connected to a Windows machine starting around 11PM, by 9AM it was not working. I followed the installation exactly as described and had no trouble with it. The only thing I have been doing, in the 3 weeks aside from the external hard drive copying was transferring movies, pictures and some eBooks to it.

CraftyClown

Patron
Well the fact you have set up your datasets with Windows ACLs indicates the problem most likely occurred at the Windows end, as this is where you would need to make permissions changes.

So just to clarify a couple of details;

You set up your data sets as Root Wheel, but what permissions did they have? also was the dataset always Windows or was it Unix at any stage?

Vanthra

Cadet
Well the fact you have set up your datasets with Windows ACLs indicates the problem most likely occurred at the Windows end, as this is where you would need to make permissions changes.

So just to clarify a couple of details;

You set up your data sets as Root Wheel, but what permissions did they have? also was the dataset always Windows or was it Unix at any stage?

Forgive me I am still learning all this. But the permissions were originally Unix the first time I looked at them. I changed them to Windows when I made the dataset and gave read/write permissions.

CraftyClown

Patron
Forgive me I am still learning all this. But the permissions were originally Unix the first time I looked at them. I changed them to Windows when I made the dataset and gave read/write permissions.
Nothing to forgive. I'm still very much a newbie myself and feeling my way through Freenas. I've had various permissions issues myself, so I feel your pain and frustration.

My personal experience has been one filled with issues, using Windows ACLs on my Freenas datasets, however I have never experienced problems that haven't been somehow related to user interaction.

Sorry I can't be more help

alykalanany

Dabbler
To find out when things changed you need to think further back. Copying files from the NAS only requires read access..

Status
Not open for further replies.