Unable to create new jails

Status
Not open for further replies.

siconic

Explorer
Hello everyone!

I have been using FreeNAS now for right around 2 years and love it. I have had very few issues, and the ones I have had, I have either been able to fix, or have seen the bug report and waited for the fix.

Now however, I have a jail problem that I needed to create a Bug Report for. Details on the problem, as well as logs, system stats, and things I have tried, are here: https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/16781

At this point, I cannot even update any of my jail softwares, such as plex, or create any new jails. So, As far as jails, I am pretty much dead in the water.

I know the team is busy, and the ticket is still in "Waiting on Response" status, even though I have responded and supplied lots of info. So instead of bothering them, I am still trying to work out the issue myself, and would like any suggestions you all may have.

I wouldn't mind totally recreating the jails, in the new version 10 bhyve. However, I am unsure of just how to do it, and the easiest way to backup all my jail data and recreate them, or if I even need to go that far.

Any help would be great!

Thanks,
Siconic

joeschmuck

Old Man
I wouldn't mess around with FreeNAS 10 unless you want to tinker a lot.

As for your issue, what version of FreeNAS are you running right now. How about some system specs too.

Have you done a search for this type of issue?
Here is what I came up with and I wouldn't be surprised if this is what you problem is related to:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...-jails-defaulting-to-new-jail-template.42486/

If you can, I'd delete your jails, delete the jails share, create a new jails share, create your new jails. This will force the download of the new standard-template and you should be fine after this. If you have a lot of jails, well you could try to roll back to FreeNAS 9.3.

siconic

Explorer
joeschmuck: Thanks for the reply! What I meant about Freenas 10 is that I thought they had already integrated the freenas 10 templates into the jails for 9.10, and I should convert them all to the new templates. I am just unsure of how to do it. I did do a search on that as well, but it looks like I have to piece together several different posts, to fulfill my needs, and was wondering if anybody had a better method.

I did do a search of the issue, and didn`t come up with anything pertinent. I searched for unable to create new jails and update jails. The link you provided looks like it could give me an answer, and may likely be a solution.

As far as the hardware and software, I am not trying to sound ungrateful, but I did post about that:
Now however, I have a jail problem that I needed to create a Bug Report for. Details on the problem, as well as logs, system stats, and things I have tried, are here: https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/16781

But, here they are, in the flesh, lol:
Server:
Dell R410
2 x E5540 XEON CPU`s
24 GB Ram
2 x 73GB 15k SAS Drives for OS
1 x 73GB 15k SAS for Plex Transcoding
11 Disk RAIDZ3 for storage

FeeNAS 9.10.1-U1
Plex Jail
Sickrage Jail
SabNZB Jails x 2
Couch Potato Jail
OwnCloud Jail

I was hoping there was a better way to re-create jails, but I will try this method and report back.

So just to make sure, it is OK to totally wipe out the jails, templates, and jail dataset, and start over? I am OK with doing that, I just want to make sure I wont break anything. Also, when I do that, will it wipe out the jail shares, or will I need to re-create all those as well?

joeschmuck

Old Man
When you wipe out the jails subdirectory, everything under that directory will be deleted. If you have shares actually under that directory then of course those will go away. Most people would have shares outside the jails directory so that means it wouldn't affect anything. For example I have my jail located at /mnt/pool/jails/ and my shares for plex located at /mnt/pool/media/movies/. You can see the path difference.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Wiping the jails and starting over sounds a bit extreme. Have you tried updating FreeNAS to the lastest U2 update? I'd try that first before I went any further.

If it's any consolation my 9.3 jails continued to function just fine after I updated to 9.10.1 without any intervention from me. You've got something else at play here that needs further investigation.

Is your FreeNAS installation virtualized? Can you ping your jails from your desktop? Can you ping google from a jail?

Status
Not open for further replies.