Cannot create new jails in 11.3 Beta1/RC-1

alt9

Cadet
Hi everyone,

I've been struggling to create new jails since upgrading to 11.3-BETA1, and this problem is still happening in RC1.

When I try to create any new jail (through the Plugins section, the Jails section, and through an iocage command in the shell) I get a "RuntimeError: RELEASE: 11.3-RELEASE not found!" error, and cannot create a new jail. I can run
Code:
iocage fetch
and can fetch the 11.3-RELEASE successfully, but I still receive this error.

I may be missing something basic, my apologies! Would really appreciate any help or info to point me in the right direction.

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
I hope that others who know more will answer shortly.

However, I believe the issue is that the jails script (or how ever it operates) expects [version]-RELEASE which is either some sort of prebuilt environment or a tarball for the kernel/world release that it will then use to create the jail. Perhaps this will correct itself in time, or it may remain broken until 11.3-RELEASE actually exists (and is the version you work from). In the mean time, I would recommend digging into how the jail system functions for FreeNAS, to discover more precisely what it is trying to find and how it fits into the process. If the downloaded tarball which would relate to the underlying FreeBSD version that FreeNAS 11.3 uses, could be placed in the proper "distfiles" location (much like how FreeBSD downloads port tarballs), perhaps it could be tricked (or convinced) to try using a renamed tarball which would eventually be the proper version (once RELEASE files on the server exist).

I wish you success!

EDIT:

I somehow missed the 'can fetch 11.3-RELEASE' part. Even so, there may be some issue with the filename that the jail creation process is seeking which it cannot find, whether that means it is in the wrong location or is the wrong name in some way, I cannot say. Oh, could the file you fetched have been a place-holder? Seems odd to me that would be the case, but just thought of that; check to see what that file is, size, etc.
--
Glad to see the response below clarified what I poked around in the dark about. :)

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

When I try to create any new jail (through the Plugins section, the Jails section, and through an iocage command in the shell) I get a "RuntimeError: RELEASE: 11.3-RELEASE not found!" error, and cannot create a new jail. I can run
Code:
iocage fetch
and can fetch the 11.3-RELEASE successfully, but I still receive this error.

Please create a report at bugs.ixsystems.com and post the issue number here.

alt9

Cadet
Glad to see the response below clarified what I poked around in the dark about. :)

I appreciate your reply! That's what I'm thinking, just some weirdness with the release version and the version of FreeNAS. I'd hoped upgrading to RC1 would fix it, but no such luck :(