Unable to contact gateway from FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

np247

Dabbler
Good morning,
I am currently running FreeNAS-8.3.1-RELEASE-p2-x64 (r12686+b770da6_dirty).
I have (1) NIC statically configured with the following details:

IP: 172.16.1.10/24
GW: 172.16.1.1
NS1: 172.16.1.1

I am also running the jail PBI (also statically configured -- 172.16.1.11/24).

FreeNAS is unable to ping 172.16.1.1, ping 8.8.8.8, ping www.lego.com, nor is it able to perform a wget -- and I have NO clue why.

The jail however is able to do all of these things without issue.

This can't be rocket surgery, what am I missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

lorenzoASR

Dabbler
Hello, i've the same problem, can you try to set ip of freenas with DHCP , in my case this makes the jail working correctly

np247

Dabbler
Thank-you for the response. It lead me to the right direction.
Upon setting the interface to be DHCP, removing the static NS/DFG, rebooting, everything worked as it should.
FreeNAS could ping the gateway/externally, as could the jail.

So, I got to thinking, what's unique about this address.
It turns out that Tomato really hates when other MAC addresses attempt to use statically assigned DHCP leases, as was the case.

My previous FreeNAS server had a static DHCP reservation bound to the NIC. The new FreeNAS server would take this IP, but the router was having none of that.

I removed the lease, set everything back to static, and everything is coming up Milhouse!

Thanks for the help all, hopefully my story helps someone else in the future.
Cheers

lorenzoASR

Dabbler
Happy to have been useful !

I'm still trying to get my Jail working with static address, but problem persist!

I'm using as gateway a debian machine with some interfaces and just masquerading subnets without dhcp...I hope someone will help me in the forum :D

Status
Not open for further replies.