Unable to change permissions FreeNAS 9.3-Stable

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrallender

Cadet
Hey Everyone,

I'm running FreeNAS 9.3-Stable and I seem to have some permissions issues. I read through the rules and saw that these questions are difficult to troubleshoot, but i'll try to give as much information as possible. I also tried searching for this particular error, and couldn't find anything.

Here is what my setup looks like:
  • One large volume: Media (ZFS with lz4 compression)
  • Three data sets: Movies, Music, Photos (all inherited)
They are all owned by "root" user and in group "wheel". They also have Unix-style file permissions set to 775 (rwxrwxr-x). I have a CIFS share that I use to access it from my Windows PC, where I can read/write/execute anything in my Media volume.

The issue that I'm having is that I am unable write to neither Media, nor any of the datasets under Media. I have a user setup that will allow me to mount and view the files, but not write to any directories using my Mac. This is not the case with the PC, as the CIFS shares seem to work.

When I try to login as root to the machine and try to chmod the files (or even use the web GUI, for that matter) to 777, or anything that will allow "world" to write to the files, I get an "Operation not permitted" error, even when I'm logged in as "root".

Hopefully that's enough information to get started. Let me know if any additional info would help.

Thanks!

NodakBarnes

Dabbler
With cifs shares, they need to be setup with Share Type "Windows" (it's fine that the volume is setup with Unix permissions -- however, the share datasets need to all be permission type "Windows"). Also, create unique user/group as admin for the share datasets and be sure to create same user/group in FreeNAS). After that, you can then use a Windows computer to fine-tune the NTFS permissions. See here for the specifics:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...-of-how-to-configure-share-permissions.35276/

Wally

NodakBarnes

Dabbler
Since it appears to be OSX specific, can you try to connect using both share name (smb://DNSname/sharename) and IP address (smb://IPaddress/sharename) and see if it makes a difference? Perhaps just use the server name and see if it gives options to connect with different user/pass. May have to tweak NTFS permissions in Windows to remove "Everyone" group.

Logging in as root to the FreeNAS server and changing permissions on the share directly is not a good idea (everything should been done through the GUI).

mrallender

Cadet
Wow, that's actually something I haven't thought of before. It works! Thanks for the tip.

By the way, is there any downside to connecting via SMB vs AFP? Someday I would still like to access via AFP and still be able to write to the share.

Thanks again for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.