Storage Permissions - Big Mistake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my desire to get ownCloud working, with access to my media folder, I appear to have made a significant error.

I went to "storage" in the GUI, and changed my storage directory /mnt/RZ1_VOL1 to allow read/write/execute access to all, with owner "nobody" and group "Media" (the group for my CIFS share).

The difficulty is that I obviously meant to do this to /mnt/RZ1_VOL1/media - not the root of the filesystem. I had the "make changes recursively" box checked... as a result, the permissions in my jails have also been changed, which means that none of my plugins will start.

Is there any way to modify the permissions for the jails specifically, so that I can get the plugins working again? Or any other way to undo what I've done?

If it helps, installing a new plugin works just fine, so it's the permissions change that's causing the problem.

c32767a

Patron
Unless you have a ZFS snapshot from before the event, probably not. There is no "undo" and you'd need to know the specific permissions of all the sub trees and files to set things right.

The jails will be the part that's impossible to fix. Depending on how many users you have, the user data parts shouldn't be too hard to fix, but the Jails are another story.
You might be able to assume that the new working jail would be a good template for ownership/permissions on the old jails, but there's no way to know for sure if they're consistent.

In my opinion, while it is possible to manually go in and try to fix the permissions using a working jail as a template, it would be faster and simpler to bite the bullet and start over from scratch with your jails.

Status
Not open for further replies.