Unable to access rebuilt RAID 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig Patno

Cadet
Hello, I have a client that I built up a FreeNAS box for around 5 years ago. I recommended replacement about a year ago but he put it off and last week he had 1 of the 3, 500GB disks fail in a RAID 5 configuration. The array is a softraid array formatted with UFS. This is box is running FreeNAS .69.2. I know this is an old version but if you can help I would appreciate it.

When the drive failed about half of the data on the array, which is connected to a Windows Server via iSCSI, became inaccessible. I identified the failed drive and removed it from the box and added in a new drive. I used the RAID utilities to add the disk in and the array immediately began rebuilding. The rebuilding process took around 24 hours. During this time the original files that were still accessible continued to be. Once the array completed its rebuild the container became completely unreadable within the Windows server.

From what I can see everything appears to be good with the array, The status says completed calm. All drives are online and do not report any errors. Yet I still cannot access via iSCSI. I attempted to mount the array within FreeNAS to see if I could access the files that way and it would not mount. I also accessed the box via SSH and all my attempts there was also unsuccessful.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to get the data off these disks?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You should re-read the forum rules. FreeNAS prior to 8.0 is not supported in this forum. You need to go to the NAS4Free forums for support for that product. The FreeNAS name was "bought" by iXsystems and continued with 8.0 while the original FreeNAS project(what you are using) was renamed to NAS4Free.

Craig Patno

Cadet
Hi guys, I know I am going out on a limb here but I could really use some help. I posted to the NAS4Free forums 10 days ago and I have not gotten a reply. This forum seems to be much more active than that one. If anyone could give me any suggestions at all on this issue it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Craig

cyberjock

Inactive Account
My suggestion: go to the forums for your product. Asking here is like a Windows user asking for support here. It makes no sense...

Craig Patno

Cadet
I politely disagree. I would liken more to asking a Ford Edge owner questions about a Ford Explorer. Yes they are different but there are definitely plenty of similarities. Plus I am out of options, there is no one home at NAS4Free and I was just hoping that someone here might have a tip they could pass along. I have also scoured the web high and low. I found some help but nothing that yielded any results.

Again, I am in a tough spot and I appeal to your sense of humanity. If anyone has any tips let me know.

Thanks

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Aside from the fact they are both FreeBSD based and both intended for file servers, virtually nobody here uses NAS4Free. They have their own forums and IRC channel, and for good reason. They do things we don't do and vice versa. So expecting help here is kind of wrong. Feel free to familiarize yourself with the forum rules if you are confused. There's a reason why there are rules specifically for the old FreeNAS/NAS4Free project. Because we do NOT support it here.

If they don't want to support their product and you aren't happy with their service, then maybe you should consider a different software package? Not to mention the fact that you already don't have access to your data. Would you REALLY take someone's advice from a totally different product in hopes that you might get to your data. I sure as hell wouldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.